Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a person be double-covered in United Concordia?

1. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick

Can a person be double-covered in United Concordia?

Advertisements
    My children are enrolled in United Concordia (Tricare Dental Plan) through their biological father. They are listed on his page 2, they are enrolled in DEERS through him, etc.

I did NOT attempt to put them on DH's page 2 when we got married, because I was afraid it would cause some issue since they are already enrolled in DEERS under their bio dad. I know page 2 is separate... and I'm wondering what we'll need to do when it comes time to move (so they know we are a family of four, not two)... but that's a ways off in the future....

Anyway, I'm wondering if they can be covered under UC for dental care under their dad AND under DH. I know they can't be double-enrolled in Tricare, but since this is separate and is a cost-share program, I'm wondering if it's at all different. I know that with regular commercial medical insurance, people can be dual-covered under the same health insurance (one through their employer and one through their spouse's employer) but I don't know if TDP is teh same way. I will call in the morning. I'm GUESSING the answer is no... not sure if we have any dual-active duty parents here that would know the answer, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  2. You are here.
    You are here.
    idk, thats an interesting question....update us on what they tell ya, okay?
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

From what I know they have to be enrolled in DEERS under him to be enrolled in UC (even though it is seperate to tricare, they still look you up in the DEERS system). You/they would have to choose who they want to be covered under, therefore can only be covered under 1. I could be wrong, but that is what I thought

4. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    From what I know they have to be enrolled in DEERS under him to be enrolled in UC (even though it is seperate to tricare, they still look you up in the DEERS system). You/they would have to choose who they want to be covered under, therefore can only be covered under 1. I could be wrong, but that is what I thought
    That makes sense to me!!

Now I'm wondering what we need to do in order to make sure they are part of our next orders. We have a couple years, but I really shouldn't leave it til the last minute to figure out. I'm thinking they can maybe be on his page 2 as well as their dad's. Or something.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  5. Banned
    Banned
    they need to be in the deers system- the military will not know they exsist if they are not-

you will need the court order stating that the bio dad does insurance so they omit the tricare-

and no you cannot have 2 policies for UCC-
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    That makes sense to me!!

Now I'm wondering what we need to do in order to make sure they are part of our next orders. We have a couple years, but I really shouldn't leave it til the last minute to figure out. I'm thinking they can maybe be on his page 2 as well as their dad's. Or something.
    They should be able to be. But yeah if you want them to be able to move with you and to be counted for housing etc than they do need to be showing as his dependents.
  7. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    they need to be in the deers system- the military will not know they exsist if they are not-

you will need the court order stating that the bio dad does insurance so they omit the tricare-

and no you cannot have 2 policies for UCC-
    They are in DEERS... but they are enrolled under their dad's name. That's why they already have Tricare--under their dad. And I'm told that the military prefers it this way--for them to be enrolled under the biological parent rather than the stepparent if possible.

So the military knows they exist--but they need to know that they reside with us.
  8. Senior Member
    Yeah. If they are not on your husbands paperwork somewhere/somehow, when he gets orders you will be on them as you are his dependent, but the kids won't be on them since they aren't.
  9. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Yeah. If they are not on your husbands paperwork somewhere/somehow, when he gets orders you will be on them as you are his dependent, but the kids won't be on them since they aren't.
    My guess at this point is that they need to be on his page 2... just not enrolled in DEERS through him (and the ID Card Lab/DEERS office made it VERY clear to me that page 2 and DEERS enrollment were COMPLETELY separate LOL). When DH is home, we'll have to ask PSD about it. Definitely want to make sure ALL of us are on the orders when the time comes!
  10. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    it was my understanding that yes the two are seperate beings, but like all beings they rely on each other. Ie. You have to be listed on a page 2 before you can be put into Deers.

So if they are listed on your exhusbands page 2 they can't be listed on your current husbands page 2.

i know someone else on here was married to a AD and then married another and went thru this... should be listed on here somewhere, it was about 2 years ago if I remember right.
    Florida girl in a Snowy World
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast