Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Tricare and eye exams

  1. ...
    andreacn's Avatar
    andreacn is offline
    ...
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, Minnesota
    Posts
    16,888
    #1

    Tricare and eye exams

    Advertisements
    How do I go about getting an eye exam? Do I just find a place off base that accepts Tricare? I do know I need to buy my own glasses, but that's all I know.
  2. Living in paradise :D
    BlueButterfly505's Avatar
    BlueButterfly505 is offline
    Living in paradise :D
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    8,640
    #2
    Yup. Just call around and find who accepts Tricare and go through them. It's pretty easy. They'll pay for the exam. Contact fitting, contacts, and glasses are out of your pocket. I think the exam covers the prescription for the glasses though. I can't remember since I've always gotten my contact and glasses prescriptions at the same time.
  3. ...
    andreacn's Avatar
    andreacn is offline
    ...
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, Minnesota
    Posts
    16,888
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBlue505 View Post
    Yup. Just call around and find who accepts Tricare and go through them. It's pretty easy. They'll pay for the exam. Contact fitting, contacts, and glasses are out of your pocket. I think the exam covers the prescription for the glasses though. I can't remember since I've always gotten my contact and glasses prescriptions at the same time.
    Thanks! Im supposed to get my eyes checked every 6 months because of a bad accident a few years ago.
  4. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #4
    You can be seen if there is a base optical shop/dr. I know not all bases have eye drs (sorry don't wanna try and spell that word out right now lol) for dependents. But if your base does you can go there. If not yes any dr that takes tricare will work.

    Now if you are medically suppose to get exams twice a year see if tricare will cover it because generally it is only once a year. Unless there are medical reasons for otherwise.

    Now I have heard some offices will slip a contact exam in with the glasses exam at no charge but I know they are suppose to charge for contacts but not glasses.
  5. ...
    andreacn's Avatar
    andreacn is offline
    ...
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, Minnesota
    Posts
    16,888
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    You can be seen if there is a base optical shop/dr. I know not all bases have eye drs (sorry don't wanna try and spell that word out right now lol) for dependents. But if your base does you can go there. If not yes any dr that takes tricare will work.

    Now if you are medically suppose to get exams twice a year see if tricare will cover it because generally it is only once a year. Unless there are medical reasons for otherwise.

    Now I have heard some offices will slip a contact exam in with the glasses exam at no charge but I know they are suppose to charge for contacts but not glasses.
    I should get my medical records from my former doctor so I can make sure I get the care I need.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    FROGLOVE's Avatar
    FROGLOVE is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, Ne.
    Posts
    41,152

    #6
    Tricare Prime will only cover ONE eye exam a year unless it is medically necessary. You are correct that you have to pay all harware costs( glasses, lenses, contacts).

    They also do NOT cover the contact exam portion of an exam( at the walmart I worked at you had to pay the extra cost...22 or 33).


    There is no coverage on Standard unless your are under the age of 6 I believe( dont quote me on this one because its been over a year since I worked in Optical).
  7. Living in paradise :D
    BlueButterfly505's Avatar
    BlueButterfly505 is offline
    Living in paradise :D
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    8,640
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by andreacn View Post
    Thanks! Im supposed to get my eyes checked every 6 months because of a bad accident a few years ago.

    You will have to get a referral, which complicates things. For the referral, you can't just go to any eye doctor. You have to go to the one on base (who may or may not do a contact exam for you if you're wanting one) and they have to coordinate with your PCM to get your referral.

    Since I do wear contacts and needs contact fittings and also have retina issues so I need to be seen by a specialist in addition to my regular eye check ups have had to deal with the craziness. They make me go on base for the eye exam (even if that one doesn't take dependents, they need to for the referral) and glasses prescription, then get a referral from my PCM for the retina specialist, go some where else for the contact fitting (that they don't pay anything towards), and take the referral to yet another place for the retina specialist. That's how they make me do it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •