Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiropractic?

1. Lurker Extraordinaire
    Lurker Extraordinaire

Chiropractic?

Advertisements
    Does Tricare cover chiropractic or any other "alternative" treatments?

DB has been having a lot of problems with his back recently, and the doctor just told him he'd strained a muscle somewhere, but DB thinks it's more than that. From what he's described to me about how it developed, and when it got really bad all of a sudden, it sounds a lot like problems I had with my back a few years ago, and chiro was a life-saver for me. I haven't been able to get him to check on it to see if it's covered, so I figured I'd ask you wonderful and wise ladies
    "Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Starting Today: 101 things in 1001 days
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Tricare ONLY covers Chiropractors for Active Duty ONLY... and ONLY ONLY ONLY if there is one at the base clinic/hospital.

They do NOT cover off base Chiropractors.

Also Dependents/Spouses are also not covered either.
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I "think" they cover physiotherapists but you have to have a referal. I'm not positive on that though

4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    You should call around to some chiros in the area though. Many chiropractors are very, very upset that dependents aren't covered, so they greatly reduce their rate for military families. A lot of chiropractors will barter and trade, too.

My chiro, here in Omaha, usually charges $60 a visit. Their military rate is $20, but I've paid them in babysitting, painting, even bottles of wine. And if you're in pain and can't afford to pay even the military rate, they have no problem letting you put off payment until the next payday or even (if absolutely necessary) writing off your payment altogether.

I know that the reduced military rate is an agreement a lot of chiros have come up with because Tricare doesn't cover dependents, but other than that, it may be hit or miss (but my chiro is awesome beyond words, so I'm very, very lucky).
  5. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Quote Originally Posted by froglove View Post
    Tricare ONLY covers Chiropractors for Active Duty ONLY... and ONLY ONLY ONLY if there is one at the base clinic/hospital.

They do NOT cover off base Chiropractors.

Also Dependents/Spouses are also not covered either.
    And to add to this... there is often a lonnnnnng wait for chiropractic care at the MTFs that do provide it.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  6. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Quote Originally Posted by OldAFWife View Post
    You should call around to some chiros in the area though. Many chiropractors are very, very upset that dependents aren't covered, so they greatly reduce their rate for military families. A lot of chiropractors will barter and trade, too.

My chiro, here in Omaha, usually charges $60 a visit. Their military rate is $20, but I've paid them in babysitting, painting, even bottles of wine. And if you're in pain and can't afford to pay even the military rate, they have no problem letting you put off payment until the next payday or even (if absolutely necessary) writing off your payment altogether.

I know that the reduced military rate is an agreement a lot of chiros have come up with because Tricare doesn't cover dependents, but other than that, it may be hit or miss (but my chiro is awesome beyond words, so I'm very, very lucky).
    Wow, I didn't know that a lot of chiropractors are doing this, that's great! My ex told me he was seeing a chiropractor for like $30 a visit because of their military discount--but I figured he just got super lucky!
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  7. Lurker Extraordinaire
    Lurker Extraordinaire
    Hm, I'll check around with the area chiropractors then. I know there are a few in town. I'm not a dependent (yet) so it's somewhat irrelevant for me, I'm just worried about HIS back and don't him to be in pain anymore.

Thanks guys!!
    "Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

8. Senior Member
    He can't just go to a health care professional. He has to have approval first.
  9. Lurker Extraordinaire
    Lurker Extraordinaire
    Even if he's not going through his insurance? Why would he need to get approval?

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    And to add to this... there is often a lonnnnnng wait for chiropractic care at the MTFs that do provide it.

Actually our Chiros here in Omaha on base... there really is no wait list. It may take a few days to get in as a new pt. exam but normally no wait list what so ever. We are lucky.

And.... prices can be decently reasonable IF you find a decent chiropractor.

I know one of our doctors has his own private practice out in town and his rates are VERY cheap.. NOT just for military.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast