Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Hubs retiring, moving before him.

1. Senior Member

Hubs retiring, moving before him.

Advertisements
    Dh retires in 3 years. We want to buy a home at least a year before he retires. We would be moving before him. Questions:

If we move ourselves will we continue get BAH for where my hubs is? (he will be in the barracks as a geobachelor)

Could we do a ERD? If so, i'm guessing we'd automaticly get BAH for where we move too?

If we move ourselves (a year + before dh gets out) could we turn in our receipts as a DITY move when he gets his retirement papers?

thanks!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
    Dh retires in 3 years. We want to buy a home at least a year before he retires. We would be moving before him. Questions:

If we move ourselves will we continue get BAH for where my hubs is? (he will be in the barracks as a geobachelor)

Could we do a ERD? If so, i'm guessing we'd automaticly get BAH for where we move too?

If we move ourselves (a year + before dh gets out) could we turn in our receipts as a DITY move when he gets his retirement papers?

thanks!
    if you ERD the BAH will change to your location and you will lose the with dep cola-
    as for the barracks you need to check to be sure they will allow him to do it- they are cracking down on GEOing and now are doing one of three things for GEO's
    1) allowing the members to live in barracks as RA's
    2) allowing the members to live in barracks for a per night fee ( 20-30 a night)
    3) allowing the members to live in the barracks but are making the member forfiet ALL the BAH.
    this varies by base so for this you need to contact the housing office or barracks officer to find out the rules for pearl harbor ( i assume that is where you are)

you cannot in most cases file for reimbursement if you move without orders- so no you cannot move now and then as for them to pay you later.
    there is a way to do it- but it is very risky and could be potentially very costly.
    HTH's
  3. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Ariel...don't do it! You'll lose that NICE COLA...HAHAHAH!!!

That's gotta be so exciting for y'all! Bry still has at least 11 more years to go. . LOL!!!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    if you ERD the BAH will change to your location and you will lose the with dep cola-
    as for the barracks you need to check to be sure they will allow him to do it- they are cracking down on GEOing and now are doing one of three things for GEO's
    1) allowing the members to live in barracks as RA's
    2) allowing the members to live in barracks for a per night fee ( 20-30 a night)
    3) allowing the members to live in the barracks but are making the member forfiet ALL the BAH.
    this varies by base so for this you need to contact the housing office or barracks officer to find out the rules for pearl harbor ( i assume that is where you are)

you cannot in most cases file for reimbursement if you move without orders- so no you cannot move now and then as for them to pay you later.
    there is a way to do it- but it is very risky and could be potentially very costly.
    HTH's
    good info thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Ariel...don't do it! You'll lose that NICE COLA...HAHAHAH!!!

That's gotta be so exciting for y'all! Bry still has at least 11 more years to go. . LOL!!!

LOL!! We might just have Ryan stay at my families house. That way we can still get cola & hawaii BAH. It is exciting! I can't wait!! Kinda scared though to live in the real world lol.