Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan and Gastric Bypass surgery...

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help Japan and Gastric Bypass surgery...

Advertisements
    hi I am getting ready to move to Iwakuni Japan and while I am there I want the gastric bypass surgery. do they do that over there? and has anyone done this overseas? thanks
  2. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    They definitely don't do it in Iwakuni, the clinic there is a very basic, bare bones clinic.

I don't know if it's offered in Yokosuka, which is the large Naval Hospital near Tokyo.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    well I heard from someone that they fly you to the nearest american place that does it ... like Hawaii. I just want to see if anyone else has done this?
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Someone said that the military will fly you to get this done? That I find pretty hard to believe... (not that someone told you that, but that they would do that)
  5. I'm a dog person.
    I'm a dog person.
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    Someone said that the military will fly you to get this done? That I find pretty hard to believe... (not that someone told you that, but that they would do that)
    If it is considered a necessary surgery and not an elective then its plausible that they would...

you're going to probably want to talk to branch medical and your PCM when you get there about it. also, correct, iwakuni can't do invasive surgeries. you will probably end up in yokosuka, it's a military base so it is american....
    boop boop boop boopy boop.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by polkadotted View Post
    If it is considered a necessary surgery and not an elective then its plausible that they would...
    But if it were medically necessary, then I'm not sure she would get command sponsorship.
  7. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    The more I've been thinking about it, the more I don't think even Yokosuka could do it. That's a really intense, invasive surgery. They would probably forward her on to Tripler in Hawaii - that's where my friend (active duty sailor) was sent from Iwakuni for a very intense surgery.
  8. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    But if it were medically necessary, then I'm not sure she would get command sponsorship.

And I really don't think it could be considered medically necessary if she passed her health evals to get to Iwakuni to begin with. I had a hard time convincing them I was ok and I just had asthma. This sounds like something that would be considered more elective...
  9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Britt View Post

And I really don't think it could be considered medically necessary if she passed her health evals to get to Iwakuni to begin with. I had a hard time convincing them I was ok and I just had asthma. This sounds like something that would be considered more elective...
    That's what I'm thinking too! If she was well enough for the command sponsorship physical, then I highly doubt the gastric bypass would be for a life or death situation, where she would get flown to Tripler.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    well I guess we will see ..... when I get there I will ask.. this will really break my heart if I dont get it done soon. thanks for posting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast