Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about tricare

1. Banned
    Banned

Question about tricare

Advertisements
    I havent had a doctor since I was 18 I havent even seen one (other than going to the ER) I am 24 now I know woman should have a pap smear like once a year so I am way over due. I am going back home (to illinois) for awhile and I wanna see a "womans doctor" while im home will tricare cover it? Do i have to go to a military hospital/doctor? UGH i really wish my husband prepared me a little more for this
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Oh...Its prime

And will there be a co-pay?
  3. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    I'd just call TriCare. They'll give you the right answers to your questions.
  4. Senior Member
    To be honest they might. Many things will depend.

I agree with calling tricare to ask. Why not just see a gyno at your current location. Just call your hospital or clinic and schedule an appointment to have a pap smear.

And by the way, I think the recommendations are every 2 years to get a pap.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    you will need to change regions to be able to see a reg doctor. otherwise you are only covered for emergencies. if you are going to be there longer than 30 days you HAVE to change regions. you will need to call tricare.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/Pro...2FTRICAREPrime

If you are in rolled in prime, you have to see either your PCM or in that is authorized. You have to have a referral for Tri-care to cover it. You can go see who you want, you will most likely have to pay for it.

Also, you can switch to standard and pay less out of pocket, you it would still have to be a tricare authorized person.

call to be sure...but I would expect to pay out of pocket for it.

Also, depending on your clinic is how often you will get a pap. I know that at our last duty station, if you had three normal paps in a row, you didn't get another one for 3 years.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

If you are going to be back home for a month or longer I HIGHLY suggest changing your Tricare/Triwest region. That way you can get care in the area without any unexpected charges and or co-pays.

That is what I did when I went and lived with my family. I switched different regions and coverage stayed at Prime and never paid any copays or fees.
  8. Army Wife :)
    Army Wife :)
    Im about to have this same issue.... Being put on DHs insurance and I will have to get my birth control refilled with tricare instead of bluecross blueshield.
  9. Senior Member
    IIRC you can self refer for a Pap once a year (they need to take Tricare though), but yes...call Tricare. You need a regular doctor even if you are there for a short time. It's good to have all your info with one doctor in case you need care.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by thetraveller View Post
    IIRC you can self refer for a Pap once a year (they need to take Tricare though), but yes...call Tricare. You need a regular doctor even if you are there for a short time. It's good to have all your info with one doctor in case you need care.

Just FYI there are new pap smear guidlines out now. You are only authorized one every 3 years. That is everywhere.

So if you want one every year I think you have to pay for two out of pocket.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast