Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Needing EFMP information

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Needing EFMP information

Advertisements
    Where to start? I am in the Air Force stationed at Osan AB South Korea without my wife and one month old son that was born with Doewn Syndrome. I spent the last 6 years at McCHord AFB were they are still residing until November when I leave Korea. We had a follow on to Shaw AFB South Carolina, but I have spoken with the EFMP personal there and they said there are no services for my son there. What happens next? We are in the process of all the paper work, but do they give us a choice of what base we can go to? I am getting my short tour done now, I know Elmendorf and Ft. Richardson has a great military hospital there, plus that would get my Longtour out of the way as well? Does anyone know if there are other bases that have DS kids at? By the way he is doing great and is the love of my life, I am so glad God gave us him that way we with the help of the military can give hime the proper care he needs.

Thanks!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    you will not get approved for AK, even anchorage- they do have services but they are still very limited.

I would do some research and since your baby is so young, you will not need a lot of services for the first 2 yrs other than medical- find some place that has the services you need now and will need later you can then find the base that is the closest to those services and present them to both your detailer and your EMFP coordinator.

GL.
  3. Regular Member
    First of all what a wonderful father you are. I too am at McChord and DH in Osan and are in the process of doing the clearance again since we decided to take our follow on. I suggest you talk to someone in the clearance(EMFP) office to see what bases offer medical and other services for your child. From there, try to compile a list of bases that are available for you and your family. It will be something you would need to push for yourself and family since you have a few months left. Good Luck and God Bless!!!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishingSergeant View Post
    Where to start? I am in the Air Force stationed at Osan AB South Korea without my wife and one month old son that was born with Doewn Syndrome. I spent the last 6 years at McCHord AFB were they are still residing until November when I leave Korea. We had a follow on to Shaw AFB South Carolina, but I have spoken with the EFMP personal there and they said there are no services for my son there. What happens next? We are in the process of all the paper work, but do they give us a choice of what base we can go to? I am getting my short tour done now, I know Elmendorf and Ft. Richardson has a great military hospital there, plus that would get my Longtour out of the way as well? Does anyone know if there are other bases that have DS kids at? By the way he is doing great and is the love of my life, I am so glad God gave us him that way we with the help of the military can give hime the proper care he needs.

Thanks!
    Sorry to say they will either give you different orders or send you unaccompanied to Shaw.

Elmendorf's hospital is ok, but I don't know how their services are with children with DS since I never had to deal personally with a baby who has Downs. There are hospitals off base that I know are wonderful but the AF will prefer to keep you where they don't have to pay extra.

Your best bet is to go in and talk to the orderly room at Osan and see what they are doing. Good luck, I hope you can get things sorted out shortly.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Yeah I was talking to someone today and I think we are going to try to get to Charelston, they said the naval hospital there is great and has almost anything you need. Hopefully it will all work out for me that way I dont have to go back to McChord!
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Ok here is the update! We have got all of our EFMP paper work turned in and we chose to put Charleston AFB as our one base of choice since that is all you get. I know they have a huge childrens hospital there with a Down Syndrome wing just for the kids. Hopefully the manning is on my side and we can get there. 125 more days in Korea, something better happen fast.
  7. Senior Member
    Good luck! Hope you get Charleston.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    GL! and thanks for the update!
  9. Senior Member
    Good luck! It's weird to me how sometimes the Air Force cares about EFMP and other times they don't. We have friends who have to drive 4 hours to take their Turner's Syndrom daughter to the doctor in Wyoming. At least they're trying to keep your best interest in mind.