Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: More newbie questions...

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

More newbie questions...

Advertisements
    I had a few other questions I thought of after my original intro post...

My hubby has taken his asvab, passed his bmi tape, and gathered all his required pre-enlistment paperwork. He had a date set to do his physical and sign his contract this coming weds, but we had to postpone it to gather info to make sure we are covered for him to leave for training (regarding my stepson).

Is the contract he will sign at that appointment his final contract? Will we know walking away from that when he will go to training, his pay/rank/bonus etc?

I know everyone's experiences vary, but I was wondering if some of you could share...

how much time passed for you from the contract signing to leaving for basic?

how much time passed for you from completing all training and reporting to your first station? And when did you get your orders? before leaving AIT? after?

I can't stand not having a clue about any of this, please share!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I am going to move this post to military benefits, you will get more specific traffic there! Newbies section is kinda just to introduce yourself!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyswife View Post

My hubby has taken his asvab, passed his bmi tape, and gathered all his required pre-enlistment paperwork. He had a date set to do his physical and sign his contract this coming weds, but we had to postpone it to gather info to make sure we are covered for him to leave for training (regarding my stepson).

Is the contract he will sign at that appointment his final contract? Will we know walking away from that when he will go to training, his pay/rank/bonus etc?

I know everyone's experiences vary, but I was wondering if some of you could share...

how much time passed for you from completing all training and reporting to your first station? And when did you get your orders? before leaving AIT? after?

First finding out his pay will be easy once you know his rank. When he first joins he will probably be just the basic no rank that everyone is. I am assuming he is joining as enlisted.

Bonus, that is all dependent on if he is getting one, but the recruiter should explain how that works.

When he leaves, there is no set in stone same for everyone time frame with that. That will be all based on him, his career field etc.

Most people get their orders for their first base during AIT. When exactly is again varied. Some get them in the middle, some get them toward the end and some get them right at the end of school. And how long basic and AIT is again depends on your husband and the career field he picked.

One thing I can tell you is get used to not knowing. It is a way of life with the military.
  4. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyswife View Post

That can all vary from when he gets accepted, issues with his son may complicate things and your SO's timeline drastically. Plus AIT, orders will vary as well, so one lady can tell you two weeks, another may tell you two months, it may as well fall in there somewhere in the middle.

as for not having a clue, HA! welcome to the life of a military spouse, you will not have a clue and it will be on their schedule, not on yours. You're really better off rolling with the punches, they will come when they will come, and there really isn't much you can do about it, because there is 500,000 plus more soldiers that need orders to AIT, orders to their duty station, etc. I've learned to just go "oh sweetie, thats nice" because I know he only knows so much about orders, dates and stuff as well, life goes on, and they will come when they come. Good luck!
  5. Senior Member
    My DF enlisted almost a year ago. Got on DEP a year ago. He leaves in a little more than a month for basic. He is in the Navy so it could vary depending on branch & job. Its taken forever but its coming up soon and it feels like the time has gone by so fast. His A school will be about 10 months... thats all we know right now. His final contract is signed the day he leaves for basic i believe. Hope that helps.