Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions, Questions, Questions [CS & Leave]

1. Banned
    Banned

Help Questions, Questions, Questions [CS & Leave]

Advertisements
    Hello All
    Sorry for the length, I am really hella confused.
    I posted a question similar to this when I first joined but I thought I would put all my eggs in one bag and ask everything I want to know here in this post.
    CS
    A little back story: DF is "single sailor" status right now. He was given orders to Sigonella, Italy back in late January. He left his old station (Japan) and in en route at the moment, currently in School. He will not get to Italy until mid-July. We are engaged and we are getting married in December. DF says we can't married (Even JOP) before "everything is done" because it would put his orders in jeopardy. He does however seem confident that we will get CS. His rate is E-6 and its not his first overseas station, and he will be on Shore duty.

Okay here are my questions:
    1. Can anyone tell me a little more about CS? It is driving me crazy . Everything I have heard on this forum says that there is no way you can get CS if you are not married, and you can't even start the process beforehand. DF is under the impression that he can "line everything up" so to speak so that we just have to come back with a marriage certificate and it will be all good to go. He also tells me about a friend we have in Japan who's GF works on base and lives with him? I'm hoping that when he gets onto the CS at the new station, they will tell him that you have to be married before even applying.

2. Technically, I am allowed to enter the country on a tourist visa and wait it out until I get my CS right? I think it should be approved within 90 days [tourism visa duration], otherwise I will come back to Australia and wait it out..I understand we have to pay for the flights ourselves, and I could only get day-passes into the base and no medical, thats cool. DF will be living off base so it would be fine.

3. Does anyone know what kind of shots I need to get to go? I would like to get these lined up before [like in a few months time], because I would have to space them out and they're expensive here. I know I have to get a medical and dental check. I've heard of people getting denied for stupid medical reasons. I take Xanax when I fly for fear of flying and its starting to worry me that they'll think its everyday!
    I have heard I have to supply medical records...how far back?

4. Why can't we get married beforehand? No one seems to have a solid answer on this for me. I know if we were to get married now it would put his orders in jeopardy, but once he gets there, in like September, October, November, what would be the issues then? Does he have to ask permission from his command?

5. How does CS work for non-US nationals? I am not American but everything I read says I need to get a no-fee passport... which I can't do because I'm not American. And being Australian, does that mean I wont be able to work on the base? I plan on applying for US citizenship once everything has settled down and we've gone over to Italy, so I'm not too concerned about working on base... but I would like to know.

6. If I get CS to an OCONUS station, They should pay for my things to go as well as me right? Like clothes and stuff. I've heard no furniture, which is cool... but I'm just wondering how the other things went. Did they send it by sea or as excess baggage with you? And how much stuff can you take? Can I take my tupperware???

Leave

Okay so DF has to get leave for our December 12 Wedding. Right now he is enroute to his new duty station... so I am pretty sure he can't apply for leave at the new place right? Like he can't fill out some form that can be sent there, and they can process it while he's not there... And are there compassionate circumstances on a chit? Like "reason for leave: I am getting married and my future wife will kill me if i'm not there" (that might be a safety risk and they will say no ) ...also he has to leave the country. Is there an embargo on leaving the station in the first 3 months or something? I've heard rumors of that...... DF has about 50 days of leave on the books, so it shouldn't be a problem, I think. I'm so worried.

Anyway any help would be much appreciated!
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

1. No you can not start the CS process till you are married. You need to be in the DEERS system before he can start your paperwork and he can't put you in DEERS till you are married.

2. that is correct

3. If you get the medical check in the mil hospital there, they will do your shots for you to bring you up to date. There is like Hep and stuff that we usually don't get in Australia unless we have to that you will need. I had Med records 4 yrs back. Get a letter from your Doc in Aust saying exactly what the Xanax is for.

4. He will have to check with his command there to see if he will need special permission to get married, a lot of the time it is only people that work special security jobs that need permission and sometimes they do back ground checks on the fiance, but otherwise he should be fine and yes you could just go to the court house and get it done earlier.

5. You will not have a no-fee passport, just your Aust Tourist passport. As far as working on base, you will need to apply for an ITIN as you don't have a SSN. You will get your SSN when you get your greencard. I can tell you all about the process too. The actual citizenship process takes years, but one good thing is we can hold duel Aust and USA citizenship.

6. The mil will only pay for your things to be shipped if you are not in Italy when CS is approved. There is a weight limit which they will tell you (depends on his rank and how much he took with him) and basically you can take anything in that weight limit except flamables and cleaning supplies. you can take Tupperware and also US Tupperware ships to APO address PM me if you need anything (including Tupperware, I sell here, and if you want to join, I would love a recruit in Italy) .

3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post

3. If you get the medical check in the mil hospital there, they will do your shots for you to bring you up to date. There is like Hep and stuff that we usually don't get in Australia unless we have to that you will need. I had Med records 4 yrs back. Get a letter from your Doc in Aust saying exactly what the Xanax is for.

Do you know which Hep (A/B)? I am getting the following boosters: MMR, Tetnus, and Varicella (Chickenpox). I had SFI (Swine Flu Injection) last year.
    Someone also told me RABIES? I think shes crazy though.
    Last edited by dougall; 05-26-2010 at 04:55 AM.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dougall View Post
    1. Can anyone tell me a little more about CS? It is driving me crazy . Everything I have heard on this forum says that there is no way you can get CS if you are not married, and you can't even start the process beforehand. DF is under the impression that he can "line everything up" so to speak so that we just have to come back with a marriage certificate and it will be all good to go. He also tells me about a friend we have in Japan who's GF works on base and lives with him? I'm hoping that when he gets onto the CS at the new station, they will tell him that you have to be married before even applying.

**DF is wrong. He can't set anything up until you are married and in deers. He can find out what he will need to do (ie ask them what he will need to do ONCE you are married and in deers) but start anything is not possible.**

2. Technically, I am allowed to enter the country on a tourist visa and wait it out until I get my CS right? I think it should be approved within 90 days [tourism visa duration], otherwise I will come back to Australia and wait it out..I understand we have to pay for the flights ourselves, and I could only get day-passes into the base and no medical, thats cool. DF will be living off base so it would be fine.

**You are allowed to stay as long as the visa is valid. How long it can take is really dependent on so many things. 90 days SHOULD be enough, but if there are any issues at all it could take longer. Be prepared to go home on the chance something might happen. When I had overseas order to get sponsored for it took several months because I had to have dental work done and than that had to be verified as completed to AF standards (ie what they said needed to be done for me to move) and THAN they cut DH's hard copies.**

3. Does anyone know what kind of shots I need to get to go? I would like to get these lined up before [like in a few months time], because I would have to space them out and they're expensive here. I know I have to get a medical and dental check. I've heard of people getting denied for stupid medical reasons. I take Xanax when I fly for fear of flying and its starting to worry me that they'll think its everyday!
    I have heard I have to supply medical records...how far back?

**I don't know what shots you will need to have. That will be something that will make your sponsorship held back some to ensure you have them all (if you need any unsure if you are vax'ed now). And if you aren't and have to get some, there are some that have to be spaced out over a period of time before the next dose can be given. But if you need shots, and you are a military installation (like once you are married) than you can get them done there. Your medical records they will want as much as you can provide. So if you have access to all of your records get them. If not get what you can get and they will ask questions and quite possible check what they need (ie pap smear etc).**

4. Why can't we get married beforehand? No one seems to have a solid answer on this for me. I know if we were to get married now it would put his orders in jeopardy, but once he gets there, in like September, October, November, what would be the issues then? Does he have to ask permission from his command?

**I have heard that some commands require permission but I don't see how that is legal. So I really don't have an answer to that. What is your fiance being told about why not after he has pcs'ed?**

5. How does CS work for non-US nationals? I am not American but everything I read says I need to get a no-fee passport... which I can't do because I'm not American. And being Australian, does that mean I wont be able to work on the base? I plan on applying for US citizenship once everything has settled down and we've gone over to Italy, so I'm not too concerned about working on base... but I would like to know.

**no idea so no answer lol**

6. If I get CS to an OCONUS station, They should pay for my things to go as well as me right? Like clothes and stuff. I've heard no furniture, which is cool... but I'm just wondering how the other things went. Did they send it by sea or as excess baggage with you? And how much stuff can you take? Can I take my tupperware???

**yes they will pay to move your stuff. How much you can take will depend on how much stuff he moved as it is based on weight as far as I know.**

Leave

Okay so DF has to get leave for our December 12 Wedding. Right now he is enroute to his new duty station... so I am pretty sure he can't apply for leave at the new place right? Like he can't fill out some form that can be sent there, and they can process it while he's not there... And are there compassionate circumstances on a chit? Like "reason for leave: I am getting married and my future wife will kill me if i'm not there" (that might be a safety risk and they will say no ) ...also he has to leave the country. Is there an embargo on leaving the station in the first 3 months or something? I've heard rumors of that...... DF has about 50 days of leave on the books, so it shouldn't be a problem, I think. I'm so worried.

Anyway any help would be much appreciated!
    As for the leave is concerned, all he can do is get to his new command and request leave. He might get it, he might not. Shoot, he might get it and than they might take it away a day before he is to leave. Yes they are granted 30 days a year of leave, but when they can take it is completely up to their command. People who put in for the leave first will have seniority over a newcomer.
  5. Senior Member

No, they will not pay your travel expenses because you will be considered an acquired dependent.

From the JFTR:

U5201
    B. When Dependent Travel and Transportation Allowances Are Not Payable. A member is not authorized dependent travel and transportation allowances:

2. When a dependent:

c. Is not a dependent (except as provided in par. U5215-B) on the PCS order effective date (APP A) (authorization for allowances in pars. U5215-I (spouse separates/retires from service after the memberís PCS order effective date) and U5240-G (dependentís travel and transportation is incident to an IPCOT) is unaffected);

They will not pay to ship your stuff because it does not meet the definition of HHG:

JFTR, Appendix A

HOUSEHOLD GOODS (HHG). Items (except those listed in 2 and 3) associated with the home and all personal effects (NOTE 1) belonging to a member and dependents on the effective date (NOTE 2) of the member's order that legally may be accepted and transported by an authorized commercial transporter.
    NOTE 1: Par. U5310-E for an article involving a weight additive.
    NOTE 2: HHG acquired after the order effective date but before entering an IPCOT may be shipped when par. U5370-I1b or U5370-I2 applies.

Furthermore, unless he was stationed where you currently live, he has no authorization to ship HHG from that location. HHG can only be shipped from a HOR or PLEAD or a TDY or PDS location.

If he was ever stationed where you are, he could have a second HHG shipment from that location subject to the following:

JFTR U5310 BASIC ALLOWANCES
    A. 1. The GOVíTís HHG transportation obligation is limited to the cost of the completed movement of HHG equal in weight to a memberís weight allowance (par. U5310-B) in one lot between authorized places at the lowest overall cost (except for a personally procured transportation move) to the GOVíT. HHG authorized locations for PCS are in par. U5390-B, and TDY in par. U4780.
  6. You are here.
    You are here.
    honestly, perhaps he's just telling you that because he's not ready to be married yet, and is just hoping you'll come over like his buddy's g/f has and it will all be merry, but it won't especially if you're coming from another country into Italy. Its not like the states and you just move from point A North Carolina to point B Texas and the fiance follow....honestly it sounds like he's made up his mind to not do it until you guys are married in December. IDK honestly, if he's already got his mind set on this, there might not be anything you can do until he actually sees the roadblock.

And i agree with SM with the leave, he'll have to submit it when he gets there, but if someone comes in with seniority or needs it for emergency (sorry, wedding isn't really an emergency) that can bump your SO's leave chit back down. And I don't think they see getting married as something that will be a "compassionate circumstance" most commands see it as a civilian issue that has no bearing on their work and mission schedule. Its just another leave chit reasoning among millions, DH just had one coworker that put in leave and it was just labeled "personal leave".
  7. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post

No, they will not pay your travel expenses because you will be considered an acquired dependent.

From the JFTR:

U5201
    B. When Dependent Travel and Transportation Allowances Are Not Payable. A member is not authorized dependent travel and transportation allowances:

2. When a dependent:

c. Is not a dependent (except as provided in par. U5215-B) on the PCS order effective date (APP A) (authorization for allowances in pars. U5215-I (spouse separates/retires from service after the memberís PCS order effective date) and U5240-G (dependentís travel and transportation is incident to an IPCOT) is unaffected);

They will not pay to ship your stuff because it does not meet the definition of HHG:

JFTR, Appendix A

HOUSEHOLD GOODS (HHG). Items (except those listed in 2 and 3) associated with the home and all personal effects (NOTE 1) belonging to a member and dependents on the effective date (NOTE 2) of the member's order that legally may be accepted and transported by an authorized commercial transporter.
    NOTE 2: HHG acquired after the order effective date but before entering an IPCOT may be shipped when par. U5370-I1b or U5370-I2 applies.

Furthermore, unless he was stationed where you currently live, he has no authorization to ship HHG from that location. HHG can only be shipped from a HOR or PLEAD or a TDY or PDS location.

If he was ever stationed where you are, he could have a second HHG shipment from that location subject to the following:

A. 1. The GOVíTís HHG transportation obligation is limited to the cost of the completed movement of HHG equal in weight to a memberís weight allowance (par. U5310-B) in one lot between authorized places at the lowest overall cost (except for a personally procured transportation move) to the GOVíT. HHG authorized locations for PCS are in par. U5390-B, and TDY in par. U4780.

She's right as well....they won't pay for you to move since you aren't on his orders...i hope you got money saved up. They won't even do it for new dependents stateside. Mostly people here stateside just take what they can in their vehicle, mail some through UPS/FEDEX/USPS or take what they can with them in a suitcase.
  8. Today was a Fairytale
    Today was a Fairytale
    I got a print out off ALL my medical notes (shots and doctors notes from appt's), the thing they said they really wanted to look at was my shots record and then since I have asthma, they just asked about that.
  9. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by dougall View Post
    Do you know which Hep (A/B)? I am getting the following boosters: MMR, Tetnus, and Varicella (Chickenpox). I had SFI (Swine Flu Injection) last year.
    Someone also told me RABIES? I think shes crazy though.
    Hep A and B. Oh you can go to med records when you get there and fill out a paper to have faxed to your dr and they will send your med records for you, just get a print out of your immunisations before you leave

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post

From the JFTR:

U5201

2. When a dependent:

c. Is not a dependent (except as provided in par. U5215-B) on the PCS order effective date (APP A) (authorization for allowances in pars. U5215-I (spouse separates/retires from service after the member’s PCS order effective date) and U5240-G (dependent’s travel and transportation is incident to an IPCOT) is unaffected);

JFTR, Appendix A

A. 1. The GOV’T’s HHG transportation obligation is limited to the cost of the completed movement of HHG equal in weight to a member’s weight allowance (par. U5310-B) in one lot between authorized places at the lowest overall cost (except for a personally procured transportation move) to the GOV’T. HHG authorized locations for PCS are in par. U5390-B, and TDY in par. U4780.
    NOT TRUE at all. DH was NEVER stationed in Australia, he went from England to Japan, we got married JOP in Japan and I went home before the CS was approved. The mil shipped all mine and my son's things (up to his weight limit) from my HOR, I did not have to pay anything, they also paid for our tickets to be with my husband. Yes a lot of it does depend on the command and if they want to pay, but they can.

10. Banned
    Banned

NOT TRUE at all. DH was NEVER stationed in Australia, he went from England to Japan, we got married JOP in Japan and I went home before the CS was approved. The mil shipped all mine and my son's things (up to his weight limit) from my HOR, I did not have to pay anything, they also paid for our tickets to be with my husband. Yes a lot of it does depend on the command and if they want to pay, but they can.

Okay, they either will or they won't.
    That's not my biggest concern at the moment, it just would be nice to have. Otherwise, i'll just take my stuff back progressively.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast