Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about moving while DH is deployed

1. I have died everyday waiting for you
    I have died everyday waiting for you

Help Question about moving while DH is deployed

Advertisements
    DH is being deployed next year for about 8-9 months. A friend of mine and I were talking today (our DH's are in the same command) and she is moving back to where she is from while the men are gone. And when they come back, shes going to move back. I was thinking that it doesnt sound like a half bad idea. So my question is, how does that work with BAH? Would we get BAH if I was living somewhere other than where he is stationed while hes deployed? I know I wont get help moving or anything and thats fine, we are just wondering how the financial aspect would play out in something like that?

Have any of you done this? Or is it just a ridiculous idea? We are trying to TTC and if all goes well, by the time he goes on this deployment, we will have a baby anywhere between 0-5 months old. I would rather be close to family with a newborn and DH gone, since I have absolutely no one out here other than him.

RIP Daniel Jay Hedrick 01/07/1988 ~ 03/03/2011
    Loving my wifey, Nina. 12-5-2008
  2. Senior Member
    IF I am remembering correctly your BAH will not change for where you are choosing to move to. It should stay at the rate for the location that he is assigned to.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    you will still collect the BAH for the duty station. you will still collect the FSH.

they will not pay to move you and you can use the SCRA to get out of the lease to avoid paying for the rest of the lease.

I never went home for deployments- I just stayed put . but I know a lot of wives to go home.
  4. Senior Member

There are also some challenges to moving back home...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  5. I have died everyday waiting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post

There are also some challenges to moving back home...
    What kind of challenges?

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Amberliegh View Post
    What kind of challenges?
    Guess that would depend on where "home" is...

Moving back in with family could be stressful since you are used to having your own space with your husband and not living with them anymore. Being away from his duty station where (I am assuming) the FRG and other support systems would be to help during the deployment. And other stuff in-between...

We hear about a lot of spouses moving back home during a deployment thinking it will be easier, however for the most part I think the majority move back to the duty station or regret going back home...

You have to do whats right for you though, would just advise not putting all your eggs in one basket KWIM?
  7. I have died everyday waiting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    Guess that would depend on where "home" is...

Moving back in with family could be stressful since you are used to having your own space with your husband and not living with them anymore. Being away from his duty station where (I am assuming) the FRG and other support systems would be to help during the deployment. And other stuff in-between...

We hear about a lot of spouses moving back home during a deployment thinking it will be easier, however for the most part I think the majority move back to the duty station or regret going back home...

You have to do whats right for you though, would just advise not putting all your eggs in one basket KWIM?
    I understand. I dont intend to move back with my family, just close to them. Im from Pensacola, FL so its a huge military town. Almost all the homes and apartments work with you on the lease. Also, I have a guaranteed job back home that I could do part time and have my family watch the (if TTC goes well) baby. That would help us with finances and help me to pass the time while he was gone as opposed the sitting in our house the entire time hes gone.
    My biggest concern was with the BAH, I wasnt sure how that worked. I think another big motivator for me is just being around my family. Majority of them arent in good health and Id like to be around as much as I can.

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberliegh View Post
    I understand. I dont intend to move back with my family, just close to them. Im from Pensacola, FL so its a huge military town. Almost all the homes and apartments work with you on the lease. Also, I have a guaranteed job back home that I could do part time and have my family watch the (if TTC goes well) baby. That would help us with finances and help me to pass the time while he was gone as opposed the sitting in our house the entire time hes gone.
    My biggest concern was with the BAH, I wasnt sure how that worked. I think another big motivator for me is just being around my family. Majority of them arent in good health and Id like to be around as much as I can.
    Just make sure what you will be paying for rent is no more than what he gets in BAH for where you are now. As long as that is good than you are good in that regard.
  9. I have died everyday waiting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Just make sure what you will be paying for rent is no more than what he gets in BAH for where you are now. As long as that is good than you are good in that regard.
    The cost of living out there is a lot cheaper than it is here, thankfully.

10. ...
    I moved back home for this deployment. We still have our apartment in NC and im living at my parents house rent free. It's having it's challenges but im very happy that I have the best support system while Dh is gone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast