Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Married Before Basic.

1. Senior Member

Confused Getting Married Before Basic.

Advertisements
    Hello All,
    I am curious to know if anyone has been in my shoes before with this situation. My DF & I want to tie the knot before he leaves for basic. We were told by his recruiter he had to wait till after basic to get married because his contract could be voided if he makes any changes to his contract, such as add a dependent ( me.) Other people i've talked to say that is not true. ANY ideas??
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

you can get married and just wait till he has started basic or finished to enroll you into DEERS, that would be my suggestion if he is worried

3. Senior Member
    DH and I waited until after everything -- basic, AIT & Airborne school.

You may wana wait until he gets to his next station for AIT (or whatever school he will be going to after basic) when he does in-processing. It's best to do everything right when he gets there rather than after he finishes that first week of in-processing. Everything can be done at one time -- enrolling you in DEERS, apply for housing, adding you as dependent, etc. In the end it's up to you, but it may be easier in some ways to wait
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have never heard of anyone getting "kicked out" or not sent to basic because they got married and "changed their contract"... to be honest it sounds like a scare tactic form the recruiter (I could be wrong, just how its coming off to me).
  5. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    I have never heard of anyone getting "kicked out" or not sent to basic because they got married and "changed their contract"... to be honest it sounds like a scare tactic form the recruiter (I could be wrong, just how its coming off to me).
    I agree....it really shouldn't have any effect on him, besides his BAH rate and possibly getting separation pay. I agree, sounds like the recruiter may not be wanting to change anything last minute. Or it might not be the recruiter saying this....
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    you can get married and just wait till he has started basic or finished to enroll you into DEERS, that would be my suggestion if he is worried
    I think this is the best option. We aren't in any rush, we just want things to be set up for when he goes to A school. His schooling is accompanied and i really don't want to move myself. But if it came down to it i would! hah. We were planning on going to the court house after he graduated basic. Possibly sometime he has liberty. All are great suggestions.

The recruiter that told him this wasn't his original recruiter he signed up with.
    we are thinking the recruiter that told him this info really didn't want to deal with the paperwork and what not because he technically isn't getting credit for him from that depot.
  7. You are my boulder, I am your pebble <3
    You are my boulder, I am your pebble <3
    we got married during DH's a school. were not sure about the being married before bootcamp cuz we did wait, but we did realize his recruiters and some ppl at BMT (this is not about all of them just his so i dont want to offend neone) kept saying he could and couldnt do stuff and it was pretty much cuz they didnt want to have to do the paper work so it honestly could be that too.
    Bethany <3

"...i just wanted to say that i love you more than anything..."-DW
  8. Regular Member
    *snip*
    Last edited by sbrew; 01-14-2011 at 08:45 AM.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    W were married a few months before basic also. It really isn't hat much paperwork. I am not sure why he would even tell you this. If you want to go to his tech school, it is better to get married beforehand because getting on the orders after they have been cut is going to be a bitch.

It will not affect him leaving at all.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    But he would still have to tell his recruiter he got married because it is a question asked on the Navy DEP Recertification form.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast