Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tricare....optometry question

1. Senior Member

Tricare....optometry question

Advertisements
    I have never went to the eye clinic on base, but I have an appointment today (because I am blind as a bat & need need a new prescription)

Anyway......do you get the frames and stuff THERE? Or do they write the script, and you go out in town and get the glasses? (frames and lenses)

If you get them there at medical, is it just ugly "generic military style" frames? I don't wanna look like a goon
    Last edited by Ms_Rogerthat; 09-27-2006 at 08:07 AM. Reason: cause i cant spell
  2. Senior Member
    I don't know for sure about in clinic (I always go out in town and get contacts) but DH got his glasses on base. They gave him the frames and lenses there and they had all kinds of styles. His are really cute!

Ask Me About IH!
  3. Cat
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    thats a good question because i need to get my eyes checked too but i dont know if they even have an eye clinic on base at Ingleside. I might just have to go out in town or something. its been about 2 years since i have last had my eyes checked, but i figure since im not having any problems i really dont need to go just yet.

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Tricare doesnt cover glassess and contact lenses etc so you will likely need to go into town for them. They will give you the prescription for them. I know they cover an eye exam but thats pretty much it
  5. Cherrish
    I went off base to get my eyes checked...be forewarned: If you go off base, Tricare only pays for the exam, NOT the supplies! (Boy, did that royally piss me off!) I'm not sure if its the same way on base or not.
  6. Senior Member

I never knew we had optical insurance? I've always gone to either Pearl Vision or Sears. They give a military discount but I didn't think we had insurance.
  7. Senior Member
    This is a good question. I have Tricare Prime and I go out on town for my contacts and glasses. But I thought that we the dependant have to buy the glasses and contacts out of our pocket? am i right or have i been screwed over?
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by snooniesmom View Post

I never knew we had optical insurance? I've always gone to either Pearl Vision or Sears. They give a military discount but I didn't think we had insurance.
    The trick is you gotta have a place on base or the place has to accept tricare and there are less and less places that accept it. Like sears, pearl vision etc do not accept it here.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by navyaowife2005 View Post
    This is a good question. I have Tricare Prime and I go out on town for my contacts and glasses. But I thought that we the dependant have to buy the glasses and contacts out of our pocket? am i right or have i been screwed over?
    Nope you havent been screwed over. Lemme find the link about it.
  10. Senior Member
    Ok I just answered my own question!! Sorry.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast