Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Money for overseas...

1. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce

Money for overseas...

Advertisements
    DH and I have our accounts set up with Suntrust bank. He was told that he should open a USAA account because there wont be any atm fees for when he goes overseas. Umm...he leaves soon. Very soon. Like...he should have gotten his ass kicked by me for not handling this 2 months ago. Like...how are you going to receive a debit card for this new USAA account if you're deployed?

What did you guys do about spending money for your SOs when they went overseas?
  2. Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Well I know they had the Eagle Card the Army issued which was linked to our bank account and he could use @ the px there.

The other thing is you can easily mail him his card in a care package just do NOT activate it. let him do that .

He should be able to use his current debit card there in the px and if he chooses to shop online.

ETA: My hubby did use his USAA card there last year and there was not any charge , not sure if things have changed.
  3. Senior Member

There is a 1% international charge through USAA. Dh always makes sure to ask or let me know when he needs to withdraw money. he usually has an allowance. However, it's been years since he's been deployed. He came home early from a deployment in on Dec 25th 2004 because he was transferring to a new command.
  4. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYours View Post
    Well I know they had the Eagle Card the Army issued which was linked to our bank account and he could use @ the px there.

The other thing is you can easily mail him his card in a care package just do NOT activate it. let him do that .

He should be able to use his current debit card there in the px and if he chooses to shop online.
    He has a cash card to use on ship (and it's apparently only good for purchases on ship), that is linked up to our bank account as well, but he's going to be porting in various countries and I wasn't sure what to do about this USAA dealio.

We're going to have 70 fricken accounts.
  5. Texas Born & Rasied
    Texas Born & Rasied
    USAA is the best!

I could not image anyone in the military not banking with them.

They offer, so much stuff to make dealing with deployments easier.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We had a USAA and Navy Fed account. I would just transfer money into the NavyFed account whenever he needed money $500 at a time. I didn't want him using the USAA account simply because that was our main account and I didn't want him possibly overdrawing the account. So he'd just email me to let me know when he needed money.

NOW, he has a government credit card so we never have to worry about it.
  7. Senior Member
    we just got usaa and its AWESOME!!! greatest bank EVER! lol.
  8. Senior Member
    MY DH is Navy and he has a debit card that he can use on the ship and it is also linked to our checking account. Every pay day he transfers over an agreed upon amount. He can also use it as a debit card in stores as well.
  9. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Check with Suntrust. I was told that they can waive some of the fees associated with that kind of thing for active duty military. That is who I bank with as well and was trying to find out what would happen when the Army decides to move us if there isn't branches there and that is what I was told. Not sure if it applies to overseas but I would check.
  10. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by princessgwynn View Post
    Check with Suntrust. I was told that they can waive some of the fees associated with that kind of thing for active duty military. That is who I bank with as well and was trying to find out what would happen when the Army decides to move us if there isn't branches there and that is what I was told. Not sure if it applies to overseas but I would check.
    You're awesome! I need to stop there tonight to cash a check so I'll ask!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast