Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tax Free Zones.

1. Senior Member

Tax Free Zones.

Advertisements
    I don't know if this belongs here. But i'm super confused. Dh is getting ready to go on deployment. And everyone is making this fuss about tax free zone's. I understand this. But what i'm confused about is what is taxes aren't being taken out. Does the medical and social security stay in or get taken out. I looked on our LES but it only show's those too. I can't see or maybe i just don't understan where the Federal comes out....

I'm so confused. If someone knows what or how to decifer this to me. I'd love it!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    all i know is it means LOADS more money in our bank.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CrckrKuesadilla View Post
    I don't know if this belongs here. But i'm super confused. Dh is getting ready to go on deployment. And everyone is making this fuss about tax free zone's. I understand this. But what i'm confused about is what is taxes aren't being taken out. Does the medical and social security stay in or get taken out. I looked on our LES but it only show's those too. I can't see or maybe i just don't understan where the Federal comes out....

I'm so confused. If someone knows what or how to decifer this to me. I'd love it!
    Where is he going? All classified war zones that I know of are tax free, it generally goes hand in hand with the hazard pay. What you aren't losing is the standard taxes that would be taken off any paycheck, so in my case it's GST, PST etc. Military orientated taxes I believe function as such.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    all i know is it means LOADS more money in our bank.
    that's what everyone is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Geotech View Post
    Where is he going? All classified war zones that I know of are tax free, it generally goes hand in hand with the hazzard pay.
    Aren't i not allowed to say where he is going?? Either way all DH knows is they are going to be getting the hazzard pay and tax free for sometime. But i just don't see what's going to be untaxed. All i see on our LES is the FICA social and FICA Medicare, Are those going to no be taken out durning that time? And then at the bottom little boxes that say federal but just show YTD
  5. Senior Member
    Social Security and Medicare stay in tax free zones. The only thing that goes away is Federal Taxes. It should be the first deduction listed on his LES. In the smaller boxes, it should show how much federal tax has been taken out this year in the box marked Tax YTD.

If they haven't been taking out his taxes and he isn't in a tax free zone yet.. I highly suggest that he has a talk with finance.

6. Banned
    Banned
    Lol I have mentioned previously that my sig other is in the Gulf of Aden, it's all over the news, so it's pretty much general knowledge.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ily.mmw View Post
    Social Security and Medicare stay in tax free zones. The only thing that goes away is Federal Taxes. It should be the first deduction listed on his LES. In the smaller boxes, it should show how much federal tax has been taken out this year in the box marked Tax YTD.

If they haven't been taking out his taxes and he isn't in a tax free zone yet.. I highly suggest that he has a talk with finance.
    ...Oh Great... The first thing on the deduction is the social security.. It's always been that way.. Although i look back at the older LES and they now show Federal at the top..
  8. Senior Member
    its only about an extra 100-300 a month depending on how many dependents you claim. My friends DH claims all 5 so they dont see a difference when the go to a tax free zone.

They only have to be in the Tax free zone for one day out of the whole month to get it. In the past when Dh was deployed his CO would make sure to take the ship into a Tax free zone so they could all get the extra money.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ily.mmw View Post

Oh when i quoted this earlier, i didn't see you said something about the smaller boxes. On the smaller boxes it shows how much has been taken out.. It just doesn't show federal tax in the deduction part. I'm so confused. And now freaking out