Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Medical Discharge possiblity?

1. Banned
    Banned

Medical Discharge possiblity?

Advertisements
    I don't really know where to put this. So if it needs to be deleted or moved, please do. My boyfriend has been in the military for 6 years. He's currently up for medical boards. Trying to discharge him because he is a recovering alcoholic who has attempted suicide twice and has gone to the psychiatric hospital twice. According to medical boards I guess they just don't wanna pay for his medical bills anymore. Is there anything I should be worried about if this happens?
  2. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    in terms of??? benefits-- i have no idea. in terms of your relationship: if they're med boarding him that probably means that he isn't or hasn't recovered at least to the Boards' standards. if he doesn't continue to get treatment, you might be dealing with some serious psychological issues and dependencies.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  3. Banned
    Banned
    In terms of his condition, medical boards are saying that they've paid for everything they're willing to pay for. According to his best friend, who we are living with until the middle of next month, he's changed a lot. He's no longer suicidal. He hasn't drank anything in about 5 months. So I'm hoping that these changes aren't just temporary. Who knows though, I got into this relationship knowing that.
  4. Senior Member
    If he has been in the military for 6 years, and they have dealt with his alcoholism for this long, he more than likely wasn't a productive member of his service for a long time. 5 months sober isn't going to make a whole lot of difference to the military. I'm sorry you're going through this, but I can honestly see the services viewpoint.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    That viewpoint I can understand once you've put it that way. I guess it's hard for me to understand how he couldn't be productive, he's an AT2. But then again, I didn't know him before when he was gaining rank. Thanks.