Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retired Prime vs Standard - Tricare?

1. Del
    solve problems with a little time and lots of vodka

Question Retired Prime vs Standard - Tricare?

Advertisements
    Heyhey....

I know some of you are familiar with the Retiree version of Tricare. I was hoping someone could PM me maybe? (Or, I guess, posting here works.)

I'm trying to figure out the differences between Prime and Standard for Retirees, since it's different than active. I know I need to call, and I fully intend to, and I've already attempted to stalk the website a bit...

I guess, I'm basically wondering if retired prime pretty much is good for primary medical? I know with standard that there's lots of copays and deductibles and limits and whatnot. And I'm trying to figure out if it's worth going up to prime, and if it's feasible to make that the primary medical insurance....

Sorry. Don't wanna get into too much detail. Any help or links is appreciated. I'll admit that I suck at navigating the website!

TIA!
  2. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    My parents are on Prime and my in laws use standard in conjunction with their private insurance.

My parents coverage doesnt differ at all from mine. Other than they make quarterly payments. My inlaws, standard covers what their private insurance doesnt so their co pays are lower.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Del View Post
    Heyhey....

I know some of you are familiar with the Retiree version of Tricare. I was hoping someone could PM me maybe? (Or, I guess, posting here works.)

I'm trying to figure out the differences between Prime and Standard for Retirees, since it's different than active. I know I need to call, and I fully intend to, and I've already attempted to stalk the website a bit...

I guess, I'm basically wondering if retired prime pretty much is good for primary medical? I know with standard that there's lots of copays and deductibles and limits and whatnot. And I'm trying to figure out if it's worth going up to prime, and if it's feasible to make that the primary medical insurance....

Sorry. Don't wanna get into too much detail. Any help or links is appreciated. I'll admit that I suck at navigating the website!

TIA!
    We like having prime. We're located in a military-heavy area and so far we haven't had any real problems getting seen, although it's not always convenient.

Now that we're employed by the local school system, we looked at switching and it's just not worth it to us. If we switched we'd pay more in two months for less coverage, than we currently pay in a year with Prime. Plus, there is a way to have it taken directly out of the retirement check every month, rather than making quarterly or annual payments.

For us it's well worth having Prime, but I think if we were in an area that didn't have as many options for care as we do (Norfolk/Va Beach), we'd consider going Standard.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    We like having prime. We're located in a military-heavy area and so far we haven't had any real problems getting seen, although it's not always convenient.

Now that we're employed by the local school system, we looked at switching and it's just not worth it to us. If we switched we'd pay more in two months for less coverage, than we currently pay in a year with Prime. Plus, there is a way to have it taken directly out of the retirement check every month, rather than making quarterly or annual payments.

For us it's well worth having Prime, but I think if we were in an area that didn't have as many options for care as we do (Norfolk/Va Beach), we'd consider going Standard.
    My in laws are only on stadard because there are very slim pickings for dr's that take tricare where they live. If that number would go up they would switch and save the money they are paying in premiums for private insurance.
  6. Del
    Donna and Eelo (and Rei for the bump) thank you sooo much!

Those were definitely the kinds of things I was wondering. There's lots of military around here, or at least enough that I think it'd be worth it. And if it can be taken out directly, that's probably all the better.
  7. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    same as active except Standard has the 150/300 ded and a 20% co-ins and prime has a 25 dollar copay
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  8. Del
    Thanks Kris! Clarifying the pay differences helped.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    same as active except Standard has the 150/300 ded and a 20% co-ins and prime has a 25 dollar copay
    My mom doesnt pay a co-pay when she goes to her primary dr. She has only paid $25 when she has had to have surgery.
  10. Senior Member
    Here is a good link I like to use

https://www.hnfs.net/common/benefits...r+Retirees.htm

For retirees Prime has an annual enrollment fee of $460 a year for family and $230 for individual.....it's no longer free when retired

Standard has no enrollment fee but more deductibles/cost shares
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast