Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tri Care & dental question

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Help Tri Care & dental question

Advertisements
    1st question: I have a pap appointment at the hospital here on base this week and just kind of assumed it would be covered under Tri Care. Does anyone know if there will be any out of pocket cost for me, or will Tri Care cover it all since it's at the hospital on base?

And then question about the dental, I know you have to pay monthly for it but does it cover everything as long as you go to the dentist on base? I need my wisdom teeth out and I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to start paying monthly for the dental or if I should just go in without it and get it done. Any help/input would be fabulous!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGAN JO View Post
    1st question: I have a pap appointment at the hospital here on base this week and just kind of assumed it would be covered under Tri Care. Does anyone know if there will be any out of pocket cost for me, or will Tri Care cover it all since it's at the hospital on base?

And then question about the dental, I know you have to pay monthly for it but does it cover everything as long as you go to the dentist on base? I need my wisdom teeth out and I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to start paying monthly for the dental or if I should just go in without it and get it done. Any help/input would be fabulous!
    Are you on tricare prime? AFAIK Dental on post is just for soldiers. With Tricare Dental I paid $400 for all 4 wisdom teeth out(2 were impacted) with anesthesia.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    To my understanding, if you are being seen at a MTF, none of that even goes through Tricare. So you wouldn't have to pay anything.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Ski View Post
    Are you on tricare prime? AFAIK Dental on post is just for soldiers. With Tricare Dental I paid $400 for all 4 wisdom teeth out(2 were impacted) with anesthesia.
    Yeah I have prime, I figured I wouldn't have to pay anything but I just wanted to check. That makes sense now that we'd have to pay for dental since I can't go to the one on post. That's the part I was confused about, thanks
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Depends. The naval hospital here in san diego does oral surgery and such free for dependants. So that includes wisdom teeth and such. If I go out in town I have to pay a portion. And I pay in full out of pocket for my braces. My dentist is out in town as on base regular dental is for AD. But I had an oral surgery and Balboa did it and I paid nothing. So if you have a military hospital nearby call and find out if they have an oral surgery area
  6. Senior Member
    It depends on the dentist. You need to ask the actual dentist what percentage your insurance covers. Some take the whole UC coverage, others will charge you whatever your UC doesn't cover. United Concordia has their cost shares online, they also get into all the technical babble about the difference in network dentists.

If you're going to an MTF for services, it is covered. Your stuff does go through Tricare btw, I found that out after I was hit in a car accident. Tricare went after the other guy to pay for my care at the MTF. Was news to me, but the lady in the billing office said everything gets sent to them.

On post dental may also run on space available depending on where you are. Ours here will take emergencies. Our last duty station did my friends daughters head shot xrays and such for her braces. Doesn't hurt to call and ask if they would take you and what they would take you for.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    on fort riley, you have to go off post to see a dentist, and it only covers a cleaning and standered check ups. anything other than that costs extra.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGAN JO View Post

Definitely get the insurance if you have to go out in town and have the wisdom teeth pulled. I was in the same situation and decided to go ahead and get the United Concordia insurance before getting my wisdom teeth pulled. I am sure glad I did because it saved me a lot of money. With United Concordia, I paid $450, without it, I would have paid close to $1500.

United Concordia charges less than $13 a month, and you are only obligated to have the insurance for 12 months. It's close to $135 a year. So, that's pretty cheap compared to paying everything out of pocket. You only get up to $1200 covered a year, but your first two cleanings are free, and panoramic X-rays are free every three years. Another thing to think about with the United Concordia is to make certain you go to a dentist that will accept the insurance and write-off anything above UC's allowable charge. When you make your first appointment, the dentist's receptionist should be able to tell you if you'll have to pay anything above the allowable charge.

Good luck having your teeth pulled. Got mine out 2 weeks ago, and I was eating solid food the day after surgery with no pain! Much less of a big deal than I thought it was going to be.
  9. 0o0o0 My Airman's Jewel 0o0o0
    0o0o0 My Airman's Jewel 0o0o0
    I just had a pap done last monday and so far I have not paid for anything...as far as dental I am not sure...I know the last time I went to the dentist my DH didn't enroll us so I had to go online and enroll..but yeah it is monthly..

I my new WiFeY'Z AloneInParadise, StonieBolonie, Army_Wife04, JasonsAngel, Sparks24, & ArmieGirl!~!!!
  10. Junior Member
    Wait, I'm so confused about the dental. I thought if you purchase the $12/month dental through united concordia it covered most everything. Is it worth it to buy it?

What's with the on-post doctors and dentists? So, if I make an appointment at an on post dentist it doesn't matter if I have the United Concordia, as far as payment? I thought I had to have it even to go there. Sorry, not trying to jack the thread, just really confused about military healthcare and they don't really give you a whole lot of info on it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast