Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Help! Tax Question!

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Help Help! Tax Question!

Advertisements
    I remember reading that military members even when married if serving in a combat zone when taxes are due get an automatic extension. Can anyone give me some info on this. Or verify that I am

Thank You

Mmm I just found something in our packet it says: " Tax is between January 1 and April 15 of the year following the taxable year. If you are outside the continental United States (CONUS) on April 15th you have until June 15th to file provided you are on official orders, not leave. You can extend the June 15th filing date up to two more months after your return to CONUS if you file an IRS Form 4868 prior to June 515th." etc... etc.. etc...
  2. Senior Member
    i have no idea...i know they don't pay taxes on money earned in combat zone...but you should call up the tax folks on base or your DH can ask the tax folks in afghanistan too

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" ~ Psalm 27:1
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaStrong View Post
    at first I was like , then I was like when I saw how messed up the page it looked so then I was like *click*, *enter*, *click*, *enter*,
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    No this is for this years taxes. And all that hub bub would take to long I just need to know if I need to file a regular extension or if its something different. Thanks
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Still confused after reading and want to be sure.
  5. Senior Member
    I have no idea I've got the same ? Cause df is gone so I'm doing his taxes when I get the papers to do it from him and snail mail we all know from there it takes forever
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
  7. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

Spring 2009

As a member of the military community, you should be aware of some special tax provisions designed to help soldiers and their families. Keep in mind these four points when filing your 2008 tax return.

1. Tax filing deadlines. Military personnel on a tour of duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico on April 15, 2009, enjoy an automatic two-month extension to complete their returns. This extension does not have to be requested, but a statement should be attached to the tax return explaining the delay. If more time still is needed, Form 4868 should be filed by June 15, 2009, to request an additional four-month extension to Oct. 15, 2009.

Servicemembers serving in combat zones enjoy a special extension to file their returns, request refunds, pay any taxes due or meet other IRS obligations. These requirements are postponed during:

the period of time served in a combat zone, plus
    the period of time – up to five years – of continuous hospitalization outside the U.S. due to injuries sustained while serving in a combat zone, plus
    180 days
    The 180-day postponement period runs consecutively with the regular tax filing period. In other words, if the special extension is granted due to serving in a combat zone, military personnel still can take advantage of the regular tax filing period.

The special extension for combat zone duty also applies to service in a qualified hazardous duty area or deployment in a contingency operation.

For all other military personnel, the deadline to file 2008 tax returns is the normal return due date of April 15, 2009. If the return cannot be completed by the due date, an automatic six-month extension to Oct. 15, 2009, may be requested by filing IRS Form 4868.

2. Signing the return. Military personnel are required to sign their own tax returns. But if the servicemember is out of the country, IRS Form 2848 may be completed to provide power of attorney for someone else to sign and file the return. If a joint return is being filed, the spouse may either send the return to the servicemember for signing or sign the return on their behalf. If the spouse signs on behalf of the servicemember, the spouse must have power of attorney.

There is an exception, though, for military personnel serving in a combat zone or who are incapacitated. The spouse may sign the return without power of attorney but must attach a statement to the return explaining why they are signing on behalf of the servicemember.

3. Recovery rebate credit. Military personnel may be eligible for a tax credit of up to $600 – $1,200 if filing a joint return – plus $300 for each qualifying child under age 17. In many cases, taxpayers are eligible for this credit even if they typically are not required to file a tax return, their only income is non-taxable combat pay, or the servicemember and spouse do not have active Social Security numbers but one of them is active-duty military.

Taxpayers who did not receive an economic stimulus rebate in 2008, or who are eligible for a higher rebate than they received, may claim a recovery rebate credit on their 2008 tax return. If the maximum rebate was received in 2008, there is no additional recovery credit available on the year’s tax return. And, for those taxpayers who received a higher-than-eligible rebate in 2008, the difference does not have to be repaid.

4. Retirement plan distributions. National Guard and Reserve members called to active duty are not required to pay the 10 percent early withdrawal penalty on any distribution received from an IRA or employer plan. The period of active duty must be at least 180 days or for an indefinite period, and the withdrawal must be taken while on active duty. Servicemembers should keep in mind that this distribution is taxable.

Military personnel can re-contribute the distribution within two years after their active duty ends, but there is no immediate tax benefit. It simply means that a portion of the retirement account withdrawals will be tax-free when the servicemember retires.

For more information about tax filing and the military, consult IRS Publication 3, The Armed Forces’ Tax Guide and IRS Publication 54, The Tax Guide for US Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    So not stressed out now!!!! I can totally wait to FILE Thank you!

The thing I was worried about was filing joint like it only applied to him but I would have to file seperate kwim?
  9. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

You're welcome!
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *MarineBug420* View Post
    So not stressed out now!!!! I can totally wait to FILE Thank you!

The thing I was worried about was filing joint like it only applied to him but I would have to file seperate kwim?
    Sorry, I just looked at the member mail................ glad Jayo came along to help you out.