Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question about Gov't issued credit cards..

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Question about Gov't issued credit cards..

Advertisements
    So i have a question...DH was sent for training somewhere and was issued a credit card to pay for hotel...travel and food...So i'm wondering how exactly these cards work....we got some extra pay..and i'm thinking that we are supposed to use that to pay off the card that DH got...IDK i'm very so if someone could possibly clear this up for me that would be great...TIA...

Everyday you spend worrying about tomorrow...you miss living for today...
  2. Senior Member
    He should have filled out a travel claim to cover all his expenses- they cover the travel and the hotel, and then he should get per diem to cover what he had to charge to his credit card for food, and then if there is money left over that should be his to keep.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Genna View Post
    He should have filled out a travel claim to cover all his expenses- they cover the travel and the hotel, and then he should get per diem to cover what he had to charge to his credit card for food, and then if there is money left over that should be his to keep.
    would he have filled this out before he left or after he got back....? because it was deposited in the middle of the week and he hasn't even gotten back yet...so i'm wondering how they know how much he's spending...or if they are just going to tally it up when he gets back and we will just pay them then..

Everyday you spend worrying about tomorrow...you miss living for today...
  4. Senior Member
    DH fills out his travel claim as soon as he gets back, and in there he claims all his expenses. They pay the government credit card with his allotted per diem, minus the hotel which is covered separately. Then we get the extra per diem that he didn't spend.

I'm far from an expert, we've only done this twice- but that's how it has worked for us. I don't think he should have gotten any kind of money for being gone yet- unless it was separation pay in his paycheck if he is going to be gone for more than a month??
  5. Member
    Sometimes we had to pay off some items on the card. I think once a charge occured after he submitted his claim. They gave us the money, just we had to pay it. And I remember having to pay on the card out of our per diem. Like they gave us the total per diem and we paid back what was owed and kept the rest. Maybe my DH was late on submitting his travel claim. I don't quite remember.

I don't know if that makes things more confusing. Just be sure everything is straight on that card.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Genna View Post
    DH fills out his travel claim as soon as he gets back, and in there he claims all his expenses. They pay the government credit card with his allotted per diem, minus the hotel which is covered separately. Then we get the extra per diem that he didn't spend.

I'm far from an expert, we've only done this twice- but that's how it has worked for us. I don't think he should have gotten any kind of money for being gone yet- unless it was separation pay in his paycheck if he is going to be gone for more than a month??
    This was our experience as well. DH never had to send anything to the credit card, the govt took care of that when he submitted his travel claims. Sometimes he would receive a bill here at home and he just took it in with his claim forms and the finance guys took care of it.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Okay, as far as schools I am not sure how often they pay out the per diem - probably every 10 days or so. With TAD's (Which is part of the job I do for the military), if they have a government card I process orders which will give an estimate of what the total amount will be that they get for the TAD - this will be at the bottom of the orders and is JUST an estimate. It will include items that they should absolutely be paying for on the government card - rental car, plane tix, BEQ or Hotel, parking fees. Food they will likely be taking out a cash advance from the gov't card. The atm fees and advance fees are claimed on the travel claim when they return. Yes, they will know what he is spending if he is using his card, because the gov't has access to his account and the accounting office gets statements. They should have it set up so that when he does his final travel card it is split-paid - any outstanding balance on his card is paid and anything left will go into his account. However, if the travel office does not have it set up like this in DTS and he is getting all the money deposited into his account, he will need to see what his balance is, which he can check online and make sure it is paid in full.