Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Coverage questions

1. Senior Member

Coverage questions

Advertisements
    Hi ladies. I have a question about family medical for retirees. DF and I are getting married in October and it'll be 16 yrs in October for him .. he's definitely going to 20 and then thinking about retiring but we'll see. He and I are wondering if I will be covered by medical even when he retires and if there is anything we need to do before that happens? Also, he has an 8 year old son who is special needs who will always be with us .. will he stay covered by the military as well? TIA!!
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
  3. Senior Member
    That is definitely a useful link.

To stay on Prime after your DF (then DH) retires, you'll have to start paying a premium.

4. we survived infertility
    we survived infertility
    My dad is retired Army, he is on Tricare Standard w/ my mom and sis (and me until last year) because they can see any doc they want with a co-pay. Grandfather is a retired general and he is on Tricare for Life and always goes to a military base for doctors but I am not sure if that is his choice or not (and knowing him it could be his choice). Dad retired at 20 years also.

You totally will be covered, my grandfather remarried last year after being out for over 10 years and she is covered just as he is.
  5. Senior Member
    Thanks so much ladies. I appreciate the help!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LinPaige24 View Post
    Hi ladies. I have a question about family medical for retirees. DF and I are getting married in October and it'll be 16 yrs in October for him .. he's definitely going to 20 and then thinking about retiring but we'll see. He and I are wondering if I will be covered by medical even when he retires and if there is anything we need to do before that happens? Also, he has an 8 year old son who is special needs who will always be with us .. will he stay covered by the military as well? TIA!!
    If he pays for dependent Tricare Prime, you will all be covered and can be seen at the closest military facility without charge. We're retired and we pay about $110 a quarter for full coverage ($465 a year). Of course, in an emergency you can be seen at the closest medical facility and we have used the closest hospital ER to our house a few times rather than drive 30 minutes to the naval hospital. We've had no problem with getting covered.

People who live a greater distance from military medical facilities generally get Tricare Standard. Premiums are lower (maybe there's no charge? IDK), and there is a Co-pay, but you can choose your provider and go to just about any facility (I think).
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    If he pays for dependent Tricare Prime, you will all be covered and can be seen at the closest military facility without charge. We're retired and we pay about $110 a quarter for full coverage ($465 a year). Of course, in an emergency you can be seen at the closest medical facility and we have used the closest hospital ER to our house a few times rather than drive 30 minutes to the naval hospital. We've had no problem with getting covered.

People who live a greater distance from military medical facilities generally get Tricare Standard. Premiums are lower (maybe there's no charge? IDK), and there is a Co-pay, but you can choose your provider and go to just about any facility (I think).
    awesome info-thanks