Military Significant Others and Spouse Support -
Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: TRICARE covers overseas

  1. Account Closed
    carolinagirll's Avatar
    carolinagirll is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    TRICARE covers overseas

    I was emailed this. Thought it would be helpful to someone

    Although health care may not cross your mind when planning an overseas trip, it is important to understand how TRICARE covers overseas care in the event you require medical attention.*

    To minimize out-of-pocket costs and the need to file claims, you should seek medical attention while traveling only for urgent or emergency care.

    Urgent Care
    Seek care at a military treatment facility (MTF) whenever possible. If an MTF is not nearby, active duty service members (ADSMs) may contact the TRICARE Global Remote Overseas (TGRO) Alarm Center for assistance. Active duty family members (ADFMs), retirees and others are not eligible to use the TGRO Alarm Center for urgent care and must seek care from a host nation provider. The nearest MTF or U.S. Embassy can provide assistance with finding a TRICARE-authorized provider. The TRICARE Area Office (TAO) Customer Service Center may also be able to assist.

    Emergency Care
    In an emergency, ADSMs and ADFMs enrolled in TRICARE Prime should first contact the TGRO Alarm Center if possible and then go to the nearest emergency room. Note: If you go to the emergency room first, you must still contact the TGRO Alarm Center. The TGRO Alarm Center will coordinate payment. If you are admitted, the TGRO contractor will coordinate with Humana Military Healthcare Services, Inc. (Humana Military) to determine if you should be transferred to another facility where more comprehensive medical care is available. Note: The TGRO contractor will not transport you back to the U.S. unless medically necessary. Therefore, you may want to consider a travel insurance policy that would cover such transport.

    You must indicate if you have other health insurance and coordinate with your primary insurer to ensure payment for services. The TGRO contractor will not guarantee payment as secondary payer, but can assist you in locating providers.

    Note: ADFMs not enrolled in a TRICARE Prime option, as well as retirees and their family members (regardless of TRICARE Prime status), are not eligible to use TGRO Alarm Centers. These beneficiaries should contact the nearest MTF or U.S. Embassy for assistance in finding a TRICARE-authorized provider.

    Referrals and Claims
    When seeking urgent care from a host nation provider, you must obtain a referral from your primary care manager (PCM) or Humana Military before you receive care. If you are admitted to an inpatient facility, contact your PCM or Humana Military as soon as possible to ensure continuity of care and authorization for care.

    In most cases, you will be required to pay for care and then file a claim for reimbursement with Humana Military when you return to the U.S. Be sure to use your home address on the claim so it will be processed properly.

    If you need to fi ll a prescription while traveling overseas, an MTF pharmacy is your least costly option. At a host nation pharmacy, you will have to pay for the medication and then file a claim for reimbursement. If traveling in U.S. territories (American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands), you may use a TRICARE network retail pharmacy. To locate a network pharmacy, visit Express Scripts' TMOP Web Site.

    Helpful Tips
    Before leaving for an overseas destination, you should:
    Obtain routine medical care from your PCM
    Fill and pack prescription medications
    Last edited by carolinagirll; 03-16-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts