Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok I'm confused... BAH related

1. AKA ProudUSMCgf123
    AKA ProudUSMCgf123

Help Ok I'm confused... BAH related

Advertisements
    Greg was under the impression (I don't know why) that BAH will be based on where I live and not based on where he is. I hope this doesn't get too long, and someone can help me out.

He is deploying in May, and we planned on getting married in April. The people who he knows that are married, but not living together, the AD member lives in a squad bay, and he thought that since they do the BAH is based off of my zip code.

I read a lot about this, and I am still left Some people say that the BAH will be based off of my location since he will be deployed.

The biggest issue is, that if the BAH won't be based off of my location, I can't afford to live here. I am in NYC and he at New River, so the BAH for that zip code, isn't even enough to get me a studio apartment.

He is at pre-deployment training now, and when he gets back I am going to have him ask around to see if he can find anything out, but I was just wondering if anyone here could help me out.

TIA
  2. Do fairytales ever come true?
    Do fairytales ever come true?
    Virginia Beach Va (hubby is on USS Bataan)
    Blog Entries
    in the navy and marine are dept of the navy. it can go either way. if he requests for where you live, thats what it is and he has to live on the ship/base and not out in town. if you are living with him its off his duty station zip code.

[/url]
  3. I can work the google on the internet machine!
    I can work the google on the internet machine!
    I believe it is where you(the dependant) is at... I know right now Dh is still attached to his current command in Hawaii, and Im in Cali. From what I was told he will get BAH for San Diego now not Pearl Harbor.
    That is how it was when we first got married and I was still living in Texas he got BAH for where I was living at in Texas.He was living in the baracks in Hawaii.
    Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs.- Days of Thunder(Nicole Kidman)
  4. AKA ProudUSMCgf123
    AKA ProudUSMCgf123
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBoyOneGirl View Post
    in the navy and marine are dept of the navy. it can go either way. if he requests for where you live, thats what it is and he has to live on the ship/base and not out in town. if you are living with him its off his duty station zip code.
    Oh ok, so it is possible for us to get it based on my zip code. I'm so excited about us getting married but when I read that I will be getting BAH based on his zip I was thinking we wouldn't be able to get married right now. There is no way I could live here off of Camp Lejeune's BAH.
  5. Senior Member
    Definitely see if he can talk to someone in finance, because our BAH is based off of my husband's duty station, which isn't where we live. Talk to finance, better to be sure.
  6. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    I've heard it's based on the duty station, unless your husband is Geo Baching it.

I've also heard that it USED to be based on where the family is living, but since so many move home during deployments, it just makes things easier and creates for less fraudulent BAH cases..

Can you imagine how many families would try to "claim" San Francisco BAH during a deployment...LOL!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I've heard it's based on the duty station, unless your husband is Geo Baching it.
    That's what I thought too.. If that's not correct, I think I'll move to Malibu next time DH gets deployed.
  8. ...it seemed like a good idea at the time...
    ...it seemed like a good idea at the time...
    dont quote me on this...but i think they just changed the BAH to wherever he is stationed. but definitely have him ask someone, or he can always call IPAC to find out.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBoyOneGirl View Post
    I could be wrong, and I was under the impression that this was correct until last year, when they changed the rules. I guess many people where saying that their spouses where living in NYC, because its got one of the most expensive BAH rates, and in all actuality their spouse either with them at their duty station or in like HumpDick Town, Ohio. So the Navy changed it that no matter where the spouse lives they will get the BAH for the AD members duty station. I think the only exception is if the AD member was a GEO bachelor BEFORE this new rule went into action and they can prove that their spouse lives in a different area.
  10. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    That's what I thought too.. If that's not correct, I think I'll move to Malibu next time DH gets deployed.
    Sounds like a plan to me!!!

Anyone know what the BAH is in the Bahamas?!? J/k!!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast