Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: SGLI Question?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Question SGLI Question?

Advertisements
    So I just did some reading up about the SGLI and I don't know if I'm the beneficiary on dh's or not. Before we got married he had his parents and his uncle listed on it and that is it. I'm almost positive he hasn't changed it. It's not that huge of a deal to me since we don't have kids or anything but at the same time I'm the one who gave up EVERYTHING to marry him and move out to the middle of nowhere to be with him. And if something were to happen to him today I would basically be screwed. There is no way I can handle all of our bills (like our apartment lease that we BOTH signed that still has a good 9 months left on it) without any help from him.

I know I need to ask him but I'm not quite sure how to bring it up or if when we got married it automatically switched to me being a beneficiary. I'm not asking for the full 400,000. To be honest, I don't want it but I do want something just to make sure I'm financially stable and don't end up getting screwed in the end IF something were to happen.

Anyone know if it automatically makes me a beneficiary when we get married or not?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    No, he will have to go in and change it. It does not automatically change once he is married. It can be a difficult topic to bring up but it is important to talk about it.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanchick View Post
    No, he will have to go in and change it. It does not automatically change once he is married. It can be a difficult topic to bring up but it is important to talk about it.
    Thank you. I just noticed the sticky in the top says it too
  4. .
    No he has to fill out a form stating who the Main Beneficiary is and how much % they get. If he chooses to give you all of it now that he's married he can. But he can also opt to give you 80% and split the other 20 amongst his family if he so chooses. I would just calmly ask him if all the papers that needed to be switched over have been. And ask him if he's filled out a new SGLI form since you've gotten married. Tell him you're just trying to be prepared in case an unseen deployment pops up.

REMEMBER OPSEC AND PERSEC WHEN POSTING!!

5. Senior Member

Do you plan to have kids? If you do then just start off with "when we have kids I just want to make we are taken care just in case the worst happens."
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    Do you plan to have kids? If you do then just start off with "when we have kids I just want to make we are taken care just in case the worst happens."
    I told Russ that I wanted to have my titties done so I could snag a replacement.
  7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    I told Russ that I wanted to have my titties done so I could snag a replacement.
    I had to read that twice