Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye exams?

1. Banned
    Banned

Confused Eye exams?

Advertisements
    Do i have to pay anything to get my eyes checked for example i know walmart does it..and if i needed glasses we pay that outta pocket..correct?
  2. Senior Member
    Tricare will pay for an eye exam (not contact fitting exam) and will not pay for glasses.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Tricare will cover ONE Routine Eye Health Exam per fiscal year. It does NOT cover materials or contacts or fitting fees.

You have to pay out of pocket for anything else.

Now the WalMart I work at will give a 10% discount on materials and contacts if you have an exam there.

Just ask.
  4. Senior Member
    I think on Tricare prime one is covered every 2 years.........(active duty members can get exams covered once a year) but on Tricare standard none are covered unless it's related to a medical condition.

We have standard and mine and my sons are never covered
  5. Senior Member
    Actually according to the link below it seems that children under 6 may be covered under standard and extra.

http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/jsp...0Exams&x=1&y=1

Eye Exams
    Coverage for eye exams is dependent on who you are and which plan you are using. Generally, TRICARE covers:

Annual routine eye exams for active duty service members and active duty family members.

Comprehensive eye exams every two years for beneficiaries enrolled in TRICARE Prime

Diabetic patients are covered for one comprehensive eye exam every year when enrolled in TRICARE Prime.

Vision exams under the well-child care benefit

TRICARE does not cover eye exams after age 6 for beneficiaries using TRICARE Standard and Extra. For your specific coverage, see "Eye Exams" under the Vision tab.

6. Senior Member
    I don't know about standard, but with prime you are covered for one exam a year. It is for glasses only and any age is allowed. My youngest was 3 for his first exam and he has been at the youngest age for my family to be examined.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aundi View Post
    Actually according to the link below it seems that children under 6 may be covered under standard and extra.

http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/jsp...0Exams&x=1&y=1
    Not disputing you, but this has to be one of the dumbest thing I have read from tricare.

Not covering children over 6 on standard? Only doing an exam every 2 years (although I have never had problems getting ours done every year and tricare covering them).

The over 6 thing bugs me the most though.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    I just had my eyes checked with Len's Crafters, I had to only pay 15% of the exam which was 12 dollars and change. They did not take TriCare for the glasses themselves, I'm new to this insurance so I just paid out of pocket but the guy said he would give me 25% off or 100 dollars whichever was more.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate'sWife View Post
    I just had my eyes checked with Len's Crafters, I had to only pay 15% of the exam which was 12 dollars and change. They did not take TriCare for the glasses themselves, I'm new to this insurance so I just paid out of pocket but the guy said he would give me 25% off or 100 dollars whichever was more.
    Are you on standard or prime. Prime should have covered the entire cost of the exam for glasses. But yes the actual glasses themselves are out of your pocket. That is a great deal from the guy though.
  10. Senior Member
    The Wal Mart here said I had to pay for it up front and then send it into Tri Care and get them to reimburse me. I wasn't crazy about that idea so I just looked up one from the Tri Care website and it didn't cost me anything out of pocket when I had my eyes checked. They took care of all the billing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast