Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Do you get your bonus?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Do you get your bonus?

Advertisements
    If you are medically retired before you get the last part of your signing bonus... do you just loose it or do you get it?

I know they're split up so have to actually serve to get all of it, but I was just thinking it's not DH's fault he's separating early. We could be out a like several grand based on when everything goes through. It honestly comes down to what month things become final, if he'd loose it we'd probably take our sweet time getting out.
  2. Senior Member

I guess no one here has been in that situation. Sounds like something that needs to be asked to someone in finance, legal or up the chain of command. I do know that soldiers being medically retired due to combat are not losing their bonus. So is it combat related?
  3. Banned
    Banned
    it depends if he is getting severance - and what his contract says-

he needs to talk to jag and finance- there are so many variables that no one can tell you.

In fact I have heard of members being required to pay back the bonus becuase thier contracts said that if they could not full fill thier contract for ANY reason including early discharge for medical reasons the ENTIRE paid portion of the bonus was to be repaid.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    He probably won't get any remaining unpaid portion(s) of the bonus. They're split up to be like a retainer; if he's not providing the service, he doesn't get the bonus.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    I do know that soldiers being medically retired due to combat are not losing their bonus. So is it combat related?
    It's debatable. He developed skin cancer while deployed. Some would say yes... but we'll see.

I thought I'd ask here, see what people have heard. But ultimately, looks like we'll just have to cross that bridge when we get to it. Add it to my ever growing list of things to ask legal. I swear they're going to hate me once we finally go see them.