Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GEO Bachelor Question

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

GEO Bachelor Question

Advertisements
    Due to the current economic downturn, I have considered re-entering the military. The wifey is open to this idea, however, she has a good job and has her family nearby. My question is:

1. If I were to reenlist/ reenter and she were to decide to remain near D.C., would we be eligible for compensatory benefits?

2. If so, which?

3. If there were housing benefits awarded, would I be eligible to reside in the barracks or would we have to pay for duel residencies?

Any help on this matter would be immensely appreciated. In advance, thank you all for the support that you may give.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    We just did the geo bach thing. The geo bach barracks in Norfolk are gone. So we had to fund two households with one BAH. As he was told, it's not the navy's problem that we (family) chose not to go with him.

It's all going to depend on the base you are at. Each one treats geo bach's differently. But there is no extras for doing a geo bach.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Ouch. Good to know. Thank you for your quick response. I think I might peruse some more to find out which bases are perhaps a little more geo friendly. From what I understand, each base has a particular budget and limited funding for geo's.

I was otherwise looking for a "non-combat" safe job that could really help out with a new career and still pay my bills while I'm at it. Hahahaha.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    the DOD is cracking down on GEO's,, that being said this is how it works regardless of where you go;
    BAH will be based on your DUTY station not where the spouse resides- all well and good if you get a high cost of living DUTY station- not so good if you get Mobile AL and she is in DC.

you will not get FSA for living apart- you will only get it if you deploy away from your duty station for longer than 30 days.

if there are GEO barracks you will most likely have to pay to live there and they range from 10- 20 dollars a day, the NAVY allows for some GEO's to be RA's and can then live in the barracks for free.

when you transfer from "this" duty station any PCS entitlements will be based on that DUTY station not from where the spouse resides.

HTH's
  5. Do fairytales ever come true?
    Do fairytales ever come true?
    Virginia Beach Va (hubby is on USS Bataan)
    Blog Entries
    if you get put on a ship though, you can live on the ship.

[/url]
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you for the help. I guess its more or less the luck of the draw in regards to duty station. I was active army for 4yrs and so I am presuming that army is the only branch that I could go into. I got out in late 04, used up my GI Bill and would love to aqcuire another GI Bill and hand it over to my son. He is only 3 now, but He might appreciate it in 14 years.

I doubt that would be an option though.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Thank you for the help. I guess its more or less the luck of the draw in regards to duty station. I was active army for 4yrs and so I am presuming that army is the only branch that I could go into. I got out in late 04, used up my GI Bill and would love to aqcuire another GI Bill and hand it over to my son. He is only 3 now, but He might appreciate it in 14 years.

I doubt that would be an option though.
    John the CG is currently accepting prior service and if you have been out longer than 3 yrs you may be able to go into the AF.

for CG info go to www.gocoastguard.com and if you have any other questions about the CG you can ask away!!!
  8. Junior Member
    Hmmm I think it depends. We're Army. He was still DF when in basic but now after exodus he is DH. We get BAH based on where I live, not where he lives, even though he is a geo bachelor and still in training. When I move to his AIT station we will get BAH for me but it will be based on that location. They are asking married men to move off base because it's overcrowded, but I'm going to move when we get approval, so we'll still only have to pay one rent.

Can your wife come with you after basic and AIT school?
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Lemoore has quite a lot of Geo Bachelors and I see requests come in every day for people to do it, but I am with the others when they say the Navy is cracking down on it. It is an expense that they can't afford in this day and age and I think they are going to start approving only a limited number of geo bachelor slots for special circumstances.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitten35 View Post
    Hmmm I think it depends. We're Army. He was still DF when in basic but now after exodus he is DH. We get BAH based on where I live, not where he lives, even though he is a geo bachelor and still in training. When I move to his AIT station we will get BAH for me but it will be based on that location. They are asking married men to move off base because it's overcrowded, but I'm going to move when we get approval, so we'll still only have to pay one rent.

Can your wife come with you after basic and AIT school?
    the only reason you get BAH based for where you are is because you cannot live there with him
    GEO BACH's get BAH based on where they are stationed- trust me I know the rules for this since we are looking at doing it next yr.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast