Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Getting everything set up...

1. Senior Member

Getting everything set up...

Advertisements
    So I think I've got a pretty good check list together for everything that needs to be done after the wedding to get all paperwork done with the AF, but one question ...

DF and I have very limited time between the wedding and before he leaves again. So after we get the certificate and I go change my name at the SS office it can take about 3 weeks to get my new card.

They give you a piece of paper stating the change - will this be enough to get everything done with the AF? I just want to make sure that my ID and all stuff with them has my new name. Or does it even really matter?

THANKS!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    yeah I think that's all.

If he's leaving I would also get a POA in case you need it.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincoAF View Post
    So I think I've got a pretty good check list together for everything that needs to be done after the wedding to get all paperwork done with the AF, but one question ...

DF and I have very limited time between the wedding and before he leaves again. So after we get the certificate and I go change my name at the SS office it can take about 3 weeks to get my new card.

They give you a piece of paper stating the change - will this be enough to get everything done with the AF? I just want to make sure that my ID and all stuff with them has my new name. Or does it even really matter?

THANKS!

I didn't even have to have my card with my name change on it to get enrolled in DEERS, Tricare Prime, and get my id. All we had to have was the forms of identification to show who I was, marriage license, and DH's id. Do you have a social security card with your maiden name on it? That should be enough. Also, you can get enrolled and get a temporary dependent id without having a social security card on you. For the ID, you will have to have proof OF social security, but a faxed copy of my passport worked for that. Then once my card came in the mail I took it in and got my permanent id card. But, we got me enrolled in everything before I even got my name change done on driver's licence or SSN. But, I was also and it was the cutoff for getting me enrolled for that month nd I needed to get in the system ASAP so I could get on pre-natal care so we were really in a hurry. that's a bunny trail though.
  4. Senior Member
    Thanks ladies! Good to know, we're on a real tight timeline for everything and it's just stressing me out