Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post 9/11 GI Bill

1. He's the only other half that makes me whole ♥
    He's the only other half that makes me whole ♥

Post 9/11 GI Bill

Advertisements
    So, db officially EASs of the Marines mid-August. The new GI bill goes into effect August 1st. I spoke to a Dept. of VA representative and he told me the process can take a long time but he was unsure of how long it will take to start receiving the BAH while he goes to school. Does anyone on here know how info about this? Is your SO going to use the benefit when it becomes available? Thanks everyone! I am just so confused on what to do now. We planned on moving to Texas and getting an apartment once he gets out and the $1100 or so from the BAH would have helped out alot. Now, I don't know when we would ever receive that.
    You can't just say I love you. You have to live I love you.
  2. Senior Member
    I personally havent heard of people getting BAH once they EAS and are using the GI bill, then again I dont really pay attention to GI bill stuff until it is written in stone! Hope someone can help ya out though

No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    will for ya, never heard of people getting BAH unless they are active
  4. He's the only other half that makes me whole ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by inmansgirl06 View Post
    I personally havent heard of people getting BAH once they EAS and are using the GI bill, then again I dont really pay attention to GI bill stuff until it is written in stone! Hope someone can help ya out though
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    will for ya, never heard of people getting BAH unless they are active
    Here's a link that explains it. http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/benefits.htm#CH33

Thanks for bumping!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yeah they do get BAH, but not if they are attending an online school FT. Unfortunately, they STILL haven't finalized all this stuff (including the transfer to dependents), so we sit and wait. We are in the same boat, except his EAOS is October and we are hoping he can pursue his Masters once he's out to get that BAH in addition to his salary.
  6. Senior Member
    The E5 thing is what probably causes most people to not get it, since I think it's really hard to reach E5 without reenlistment? I really could be wrong, though.
  7. He's the only other half that makes me whole ♥
    The man I talked to yesterday said he doesn't know a specific date when they can start applying. He did tell me that if they go ahead and apply now for their Montgomery GI Bill (form 22-1990), it will speed up the process once the Post 9/11 bill goes into effect. He said all they will have to do is transfer their benefit to the new bill.
  8. He's the only other half that makes me whole ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by helloimkaley View Post
    The E5 thing is what probably causes most people to not get it, since I think it's really hard to reach E5 without reenlistment? I really could be wrong, though.
    They can be an e2 and get out...as long as they meet the criteria, they get the e5 w/ dependents BAH.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009.
  9. Senior Member
    DH compared both and he makes out better using the old GI bill because they go off your yrs in service so he would only qualify for 60% BAH p.. but it sounds like a great deal if your going to a university college where your monthly benefits don't cover your whole tuition and you get the 100% benifits.

Here is a caculator you can try using
    http://www.gibill2008.org/calculator.html
  10. He's the only other half that makes me whole ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by Proud_MPWIFE View Post
    DH compared both and he makes out better using the old GI bill because they go off your yrs in service so he would only qualify for 60% BAH p.. but it sounds like a great deal if your going to a university college where your monthly benefits don't cover your whole tuition and you get the 100% benifits.

Here is a caculator you can try using
    http://www.gibill2008.org/calculator.html
    So he is only going to have 12 months of service after 9/11? Is that why he will only get 60%?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast