Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: after retirement...

1. Senior Member

after retirement...

Advertisements
    My husband and I are wondering.. If anything happens to him AFTER retirement what happens to his pension and our medical benefits?? I am looking around online and I can't find a clear answer.. Do we have to pay into some sort of insurance protection against losing the pension if something were to happen? I would greatly appreciate if someone could help us out. I hate thinking about this stuff, but it is a question wed like an answer to.
    Thanks!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I'm not sure what your question is--are you asking what would happen in terms of YOUR payment if he were to pass on before you? I think dh said that I would continue getting like 1/2 of what he was getting before he died, but I'm not sure if that's correct.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarsie1 View Post
    I'm not sure what your question is--are you asking what would happen in terms of YOUR payment if he were to pass on before you? I think dh said that I would continue getting like 1/2 of what he was getting before he died, but I'm not sure if that's correct.
    Yeh I did just find something that said I would continue to receive 55% of his base pay (not counting extras like disability). You have to pay 6.5% into it every month and make sure you have it when you retire. I still havent figured out the tricare thing.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    tricare for life- It is like 600 a yr for retirees and spouse.

you have to choose the Survivor benefit program and pay into to get the pay if the retiree dies.
  5. Senior Member
    Retiree Tricare Prime is $460 a year. We just paid it a couple of weeks ago. Recently retired here. You have to elect to take the Survivor's Benefit and pay into it. We pay 119.00 a month for it.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diapason05 View Post
    My husband and I are wondering.. If anything happens to him AFTER retirement what happens to his pension and our medical benefits?? I am looking around online and I can't find a clear answer.. Do we have to pay into some sort of insurance protection against losing the pension if something were to happen? I would greatly appreciate if someone could help us out. I hate thinking about this stuff, but it is a question wed like an answer to.
    Thanks!
    My husband and I are both retired. We live in a military-heavy area and can use military clinics, so we use Tricare prime; we pay $460 a year for family coverage 9still have two kids who are eligible for care).

We pay by check but we can set it up to go by allottment.

As far as the pension, the military parts of both our pensions are direct-deposited into our account by DFAS, and the disability parts are direct-deposited by the VA.

Other than that, I don't understand what you're asking.
  7. Senior Member

I believe what she is asking is does she still receive a pension payment if her husband dies after retirement. No you don't unless you opt to pay into the survivor benefit plan. I had this same question awhile ago.
    http://www.military.com/benefits/sur...plan-explained
    And retiree Tricare benefits
    http://www.military.com/benefits/tri...re-eligibility