Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Question

1. Senior Member

Moving Question

Advertisements
    When DF gets back from Iraq he is going to be stationed in KS, where he was before he left. Im here in CA. We are going to be getting married when he gets back as well. We were planning on waiting a month or so before I move out there after we get married. Now, Im not sure how all this works. But once we are married, does the military pay for a move like that or would I? He made it sound like the military would, but I was thinking that they wouldnt since he has been stationed there for a while. Im just

And dummy me just totally put this in the wrong section
    Last edited by armygf08; 02-19-2009 at 01:25 AM.
    DF: i still think your too good to be with a guy like me but i am thankful everyday that i found you
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I don't think they will, because you're not on his orders. When you get married, that's your business to get to KS. Once you're there, they'll move both of you onto base housing if you are married and now qualify for it, but they aren't going to move you from CA to KS.

I assume it's Ft. Riley? There are a few of us on here from Kansas!

Good luck!
  3. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    No the military won't pay for you to move. However, you can claim moving expenses on your tax return if you meet the criteria! Just save all your receipts so you know how much to claim.

That is what I did when I moved to be with my husband, then DF!
  4. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    In my case, the military did pay to move me. My DH and I got married on his mid-tour and he had his follow-on orders amended to include me for his PCS. So six months later when he returned to the States, they moved his stuff from overseas, his stuff from in storage and my stuff from a different state (where I lived) entirely.

If you are married after he has arrived at his duty station, though, I don't think that they will pay for the move.
  5. Do fairytales ever come true?
    Do fairytales ever come true?
    Virginia Beach Va (hubby is on USS Bataan)
    Blog Entries
    no when you get married they do not. they will if he gets stationed somewhere else and you are already married.

[/url]
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    No the Military will not help you move from CA to KS bc they just assume you two are together( same state)...

also you need to be married at least 2 -3 months before they will take into account of giving him extra money to move (aka with a dependent).

We got married on paper in March bc we needed to move in July. We just ended up having our wedding right b4 we moved.

Hope this makes sense
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    In my case, the military did pay to move me. My DH and I got married on his mid-tour and he had his follow-on orders amended to include me for his PCS. So six months later when he returned to the States, they moved his stuff from overseas, his stuff from in storage and my stuff from a different state (where I lived) entirely.

If you are married after he has arrived at his duty station, though, I don't think that they will pay for the move.
    Wow! I think you may have gotten lucky! When dh and I got married, we qualified to move onto base but we had stuff in storage. They told us we had to pick one place to move-either the storage unit, or our apartment, but they wouldn't go to both places!
  8. Banned
    Banned
    a few questions for the OP...

is this his first Duty station from boot camp? AND do you live in his home of record?

is this a second duty station? AND do you live in the area of the old duty section?
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    a few questions for the OP...

is this his first Duty station from boot camp? AND do you live in his home of record?

is this a second duty station? AND do you live in the area of the old duty section?
    No, he was stationed there before he left for Iraq. I live in his home of record. Hes been stationed there for a couple of years prior to leaving. I do think that this is his second, cause he was stationed in Germany before KS (that was before I knew him)

I didnt think the military would pay for the move, but the way he made it sound was that they would. I just wanted to make sure though
    DF: i still think your too good to be with a guy like me but i am thankful everyday that i found you
  10. Banned
    Banned
    ok- thanks for answering-
    with your answers they will not pay any costs associated with your move.

if you would have answered Yes to both questions on the first line they would have paid for part of the move----

or answered yes to both of the questions for the second line they would have paid for part of your move.

sorry.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast