Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Marine Corps BAH

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Confused Need help with Marine Corps BAH

Advertisements
    Hey there ladies. My fiance is a Marine (LCPL) and we are at Camp Pendleton, CA. We are getting married in May. I am currently in a lease, which goes up in May, so we are wanting to sign a lease for the beginning of May, and move in right before the wedding. We definitely do not want to live on base, because I am a senior in college. So I was curious if you girls had any advice/suggestions for how we are supposed to go about getting our BAH. We would like to have it start going into our account as soon as we get into the apartment. You ususally have to pay first and last months rent ahead of time, and it will make things hard right before the wedding if we have to pay it ourselves. Sorry I'm going on and on, but every situation is different. I dont know much about all this stuff, who we're supposed to talk to, or how it's supposed to all happen. Are we supposed to show them a marriage license before they give us our BAH? But you have to find somewhere to live before you are married! Help me out here girls. Thanks!
    -Brooke
  2. Banned
    Banned
    you cannot apply for BAH until AFTER the wedding- it will take 2-8 weeks for it too kick in but will be back dated to the date of marriage.

BAH is split between the 2 checks in arrears- march BAH is paid 1/2 on the 15 and the balance on April 1st

the timeline is not branch specific and varies by command and how fast they input the information and it gets processed.

not sure what being a student has to do in regards to living on or off base????
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Camp Pendleton is 30 miles north of my university. I will never make it to school everyday if I have to get off base and drive down there in California traffic. We decided HE is making the drive, so I can be near school and graduate this year!! My hero.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooketini View Post
    Camp Pendleton is 30 miles north of my university. I will never make it to school everyday if I have to get off base and drive down there in California traffic. We decided HE is making the drive, so I can be near school and graduate this year!! My hero.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but if the traffic is too much for you to go to school which is awesome but not a requirement, why isn't it too much for the person who HAS to be at a certain place by a certain time or be in trouble?

I don't know where Pendleton is in regards to Cali, but 30 miles is not all that much I wouldn't think.

Either way, as Gunsgirl said, you can not get BAH until you are married, he has added you to deers, gotten his paperwork updated and everything gone through. It can take anywhere from a couple weeks to several months.
  5. Loving My Life As A Mom And Wife
    Loving My Life As A Mom And Wife
    Blog Entries
    You cannot get BAH before you are married and it takes 1-2 months for it to kick in once you are married. My only advice is to save money for a deposit or don't live together until you start receiving BAH.
    Since my Gastric Bypass Surgery June 1 2009

Day of Surgery

6. Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Yuppers what all of the above said

You will need a marriage license to get the ball rolling you will need to be married.
    Unfortuantely Fiancee doesnt count in the military world, hell wife sometimes doesnt neither lol.

And I am not trying to be rude neither but I do agree with Southern-Momma he Im pretty sure has to PT every morning which is usually pretty early meaning he will probably have to get up extra early to drive , verses you who probably has classes alittle later.

Just something you might want to take into consideration.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    you cannot apply for BAH until AFTER the wedding- it will take 2-8 weeks for it too kick in but will be back dated to the date of marriage.

BAH is split between the 2 checks in arrears- march BAH is paid 1/2 on the 15 and the balance on April 1st

the timeline is not branch specific and varies by command and how fast they input the information and it gets processed.

not sure what being a student has to do in regards to living on or off base????

DITTO!!
  8. Marine Property
    Marine Property
    Blog Entries
    Totally he cannot start getting the BAH until he is married... Also... Seriously don't you think you leaving a bit earlier and maybe being a few min late for class would be better then him getting in trouble for being late because he got stuck in traffic one to many times. DF has been late once or twice and they have excused him because he seriously had a legitimate excuse but being late because of traffic
    His sgt..."you should've gotten up earlier and left earlier"
    Honestly traffic isn't that bad when trying to get off base in the morning, but it IS horrible to get on.... He might have to wait like ten min to get on base when you could just drive right off no hastle...

Thats just my opinion though
  9. Senior Member
    our BAH went through pretty quickly at pendleton. i would suggest that you start squirreling away some money for the new place, though. you never know how much it time it will take.

i have to agree with the commuting thing. but it's your life, and your DF's life, so i guess it's you guys' decision.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" ~ Psalm 27:1
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaStrong View Post
    at first I was like , then I was like when I saw how messed up the page it looked so then I was like *click*, *enter*, *click*, *enter*,
  10. Loving My Life As A Mom And Wife
    Loving My Life As A Mom And Wife
    Blog Entries
    I would never want to put my husband in a situation where he might be late for work because I was too lazy to get up 30 minutes early for school.

Not to mention I know how much trouble my husband would have gotten in for being late at our last duty station. They were a lot less lax than they are here.
    Since my Gastric Bypass Surgery June 1 2009

Day of Surgery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast