Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this covered?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

Help Is this covered?

Advertisements
    Ok, so I'm currently only in DEERS. I was wondering if my birth control will be covered, and if they only cover one brand or anything like that.
    Also, I wear contacts, and I'm needed more. Do they cover they exam and/or the contacts?
    TIA
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

once you are inrolled in DEERS you are automatically inrolled in Tricare Standard unless you uninrolled from it because your employer or something covers your medical. I think your bc will be covered if you get it from the clinic onbase, you may have to copay for your contacts though (I don't wear them, so I'm not sure on that).

3. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    Only a basic eye exam is covered (with dilation) All optometrists I've seen since being on Tricare have charged me a $25 fee for a contact exam. No glasses or contacts are covered. I use my Costco membership and get glasses and contacts for a pretty reasonable price $50 for 6 months of contacts and I just got two pairs of glasses for $250
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *tina* View Post
    Only a basic eye exam is covered (with dilation) All optometrists I've seen since being on Tricare have charged me a $25 fee for a contact exam. No glasses or contacts are covered. I use my Costco membership and get glasses and contacts for a pretty reasonable price $50 for 6 months of contacts and I just got two pairs of glasses for $250
    Ok, so I'm a little confused bear with me. Do you get your eyes examed on base then get your contacts through costco?
  5. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    You can look up eyecare providers on the Tricare website. I've only seen an eye doctor on base once, for a bad eye infection. Every other time I've just found a civilian provider. You don't need a referral to go to one, it's an automatic once a year coverage.
  6. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    your bc should be your contacts won't be
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Confused DEERS?

Can I ask what is DEERS? Oh my, I have so much to learn. Im getting married in May, there's so much Im going to need to know about medical/eye and what not.
    Banned

yea your BC should be covered by tricare. just the copay may increase if its not the brand they prefer or a generic. however, contacts will not be covered. at all. glasses aren't even covered really. just the exam.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jules~ View Post
    Ok, so I'm a little confused bear with me. Do you get your eyes examed on base then get your contacts through costco?
    Tricare only covers glasses exams. They do not cover contact exams. SOME places will do the contact as long as you do glasses because tricare pays well. That is what I was told by the optometrist where I live. But do not expect that to be the norm. And you can go anywhere that accepts tricare. I have gone on base, I have been seen at a private optometrist, and I have been to lenscrafters.

And they do not buy your contacts or glasses. I have heard of exceptions but I don't know what they are.
  10. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Jules~ View Post
    Ok, so I'm currently only in DEERS. I was wondering if my birth control will be covered, and if they only cover one brand or anything like that.
    Also, I wear contacts, and I'm needed more. Do they cover they exam and/or the contacts?
    TIA

My contacts are covered by Tricare, but that's because I have an eye condition.

BC...yep!!! i've been on Yaz, Ortho TC and the Mirena IUD.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast