Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: GI Bill vs. Vocational Rehab?

1. Senior Member

GI Bill vs. Vocational Rehab?

Advertisements
    Im thinking of going back to school this fall, and I qualify for both the GI Bill and the VA's Vocational Rehab since I'm 35% disabled and get compensation for 30%. Does anyone one know the plus or minuses of the two? I only know one person that has used VA's Vocational Rehab, and he used it to go to Loyola University here in Chicago to finish his doctorate in Medicine. I can't seem to find much info about it, other than the not really detailed info that is on the VA's website

Im leaning towards using the GI Bill, but I dont really know.

oh and I know I could use the Vocational Rehab to go to school, I had a meeting before we PCS'ed with the Education VA representative and was told I can use either.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Have you tried calling your local VA hospital and asking for the name and phone# of a benefits advocate? They usually know a lot about the different options.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pandora View Post
    Have you tried calling your local VA hospital and asking for the name and phone# of a benefits advocate? They usually know a lot about the different options.
    yeah, and I talked to them yesterday, they told me that the VA's Vocational Rehab was better... but I dont know if they where saying that because they are the VA, or if they where taking into consideration the new GI Bill or not.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kimly View Post
    Im thinking of going back to school this fall, and I qualify for both the GI Bill and the VA's Vocational Rehab since I'm 35% disabled and get compensation for 30%. Does anyone one know the plus or minuses of the two? I only know one person that has used VA's Vocational Rehab, and he used it to go to Loyola University here in Chicago to finish his doctorate in Medicine. I can't seem to find much info about it, other than the not really detailed info that is on the VA's website

Im leaning towards using the GI Bill, but I dont really know.

oh and I know I could use the Vocational Rehab to go to school, I had a meeting before we PCS'ed with the Education VA representative and was told I can use either.
    I used my Voc Rehab for grad school, and my VR payments didn't affect my retirement or disability payments. Sorry, but I dont' know how or if the GI Bill affects it.

Some things you should know about VA:

Each VA is independently administered. I know people who got doctorate-level degrees using VocRehab, but the VA that I worked through (Hawaii because we were in Japan) only went to a certain educational level, and even then it was only if you could show that the education could be expected to increase your quality of life by earning you a higher paycheck. I was a GS5 when it got approved, but within two months I got picked up for a GS-112 position; my VA rep told me that if I had already been in the GS-11 position he would not have approved me for VocRehab. Since each VA is independently administered, they each have the final decision; there's no appeal process.

IOW, the VA in Seattle may approve more than the VA in Roanoke, and they might both give more than the VA in Illinois. You definitely need to talk to the Rehab counselor at YOUR local VA.

I hope it works out- it was great for us.