Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID card confusion

1. I'm living my life like it's golden!
    I'm living my life like it's golden!

ID card confusion

Advertisements
    When we went to get my new ID card a few days ago, the guy there told us since my man leaves for his remote/short tour soon, we would've to get ID cards for the kids, too!
    Another guy who works at the the same place a little while ago said when we asked him the question if the kids would need a ID card, no we wouldn't need it since they're under 10!
    Now what's really true, cause it's confusing and if we need to get the kids ID cards it would be nice to know - the same goes for it if we don't need it!
    So who can help me by answering out of experience or knowledge what's up?

Another question about ID cards:
    In a few weeks my man'll put on his new rank, so he has to get a new ID, which's nothing new, but what about me?
    Do I've to get another new 1 again as soon he pins on?
    The guy who made my new ID card, said I don't, cause this 1 I just got doesn't expire for quite a while!
    So do I, don't I?
    Thanks in advance!
    Regards and much love!
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    they don't get cards until their 10 or 12. but yhou do need their healthcare cards. assuming you have enrolled them in tricare, you can contact them directly and ask dfor a new set if you don't already have them.

ETA: I just saw where your stationed, and I jave never been overseas, the typical rule is you don't need a card until your 10-12 (although they can get them to use on airplanes, or when they visit other family members for traveling without you) but If you are overseas the rules might be a little different. I might think it would actually bennefit the child to have their ID just incase you want to go out of the country or something, like a weekend in france or something like that. just a thought.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    and no, you don't need a new card. his rank doesn't effect your cards viability. your card is good until his current enlistent is up, then you get a new one.
  4. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot
    They do not get ID cards if they are under 10 or 13 can't remember.

HOWEVER, if the kids travel without you or the SM then they can have ID cards. All our kids have them. Timmy has had one since he ws around 6 months old. Since the kids travel without us.

And you only get a new card with rank promotion depending on the rank he is making.

5. I'm living my life like it's golden!
    I'm living my life like it's golden!
    Thanks ladies!
    It's hard to find out or know what's true or not when you're told something different every time!
    I mean shouldn't they know all the same stuff?
    Heck, it's not like we're doing stuff like ID cards every day!
    Lol.
    He puts on E7 then!
    The kids're turning 4 and 3 and they're in Tricare since they where babies, we also did their passports when they where that small!
    Regards and much love!
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Kids are required to have an ID at age 10.

ETA: If your card specifically says TSgt and not just Sgt, you should probably have a new one when he puts MSgt on. (I know that I got a new one when dh made SSgt and mine wasn't due to expire for a couple of years and I got a new one when he got commissioned too)
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  7. Senior Member
    When my husband went to Korea I had two kids. Neither one of them got ID cards. One was 5 the other just turned one.

I have never heard that the underage dependents need to have cards just because their sponsor is gone.

Shoot, I don't even think kids need them until they are around 13.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dstcp View Post
    When we went to get my new ID card a few days ago, the guy there told us since my man leaves for his remote/short tour soon, we would've to get ID cards for the kids, too!
    Another guy who works at the the same place a little while ago said when we asked him the question if the kids would need a ID card, no we wouldn't need it since they're under 10!
    Now what's really true, cause it's confusing and if we need to get the kids ID cards it would be nice to know - the same goes for it if we don't need it!
    So who can help me by answering out of experience or knowledge what's up?

Another question about ID cards:
    In a few weeks my man'll put on his new rank, so he has to get a new ID, which's nothing new, but what about me?
    Do I've to get another new 1 again as soon he pins on?
    The guy who made my new ID card, said I don't, cause this 1 I just got doesn't expire for quite a while!
    So do I, don't I?
    Thanks in advance!
    Regards and much love!
    The age requirement for IDs is 10, but younger kids get one if the parents are divorced and the custodial parent is no longer a military dependent. The custodial parent might have a special ID allowing commissary and exchange access but not medical, so the dependent child would need an ID that allowed medical coverage.
  9. Senior Member
    They made me get a new card when DH made rank last time.
  10. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    They made me get a new card when DH made rank last time.
    Weird, I couldn't get a new ID card when DH made E7, they said I can only get a new one when it expires or I lose it.
    And yes the required age is 10 to have an ID. My son Ian got one when he turned 10. However, my younger son David, 9, has one also... my DH took him to get one because we were going on a trip out of Korea. I don't think it was required but he got one. He'll be 10 anyway in April. Then he also gets a ration card which Ian has, too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast