Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do i need to know??

1. Senior Member

what do i need to know??

Advertisements
    my DF isn't helpful when i ask him about what will happen when we get married so would anyone be able to break down the steps that will need to take place before and after we get married in september???? i want to know everything so when it comes down to it i wont know what is going on with the army...
  2. Senior Member
    Well the key thing is to get on base as soon as possible after you get married and get you enrolled in deers, tricare and all his paperwork updated so that if you want to live off base he receives his BAH as soon as possible. I believe that up to 30 days before you get married you can put in a housing application if you want to live on base but I do not remember that for sure and you will need to check with the housing office at his base.

Those are the main things.

Good luck
  3. Senior Member
    ty!!
  4. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    I swear we need a "getting married" sticky.

After you get married you'll need a certified copy of your marriage certificate from the county/parish recorder. Sometimes they can do it same day if you walk it into them.

Take that, a certified copy (not photo copy) of your birth certificate, your Social Security card and your DH to the DEERS office on post. They will make you an ID card.

Take your ID card and your DH to the Tricare office next and fill out the paperwork to enroll you in Tricare prime. You can also get the information to sign up for the dental plan there. It's $12 a month.

I highly recommend going to JAG after this and getting a POA for everything you could possibly need it for so you don't have to drag your DH around everywhere.

He'll need to go to housing and either get on a wait list for housing OR they will give him a memo saying housing is unavailable and your DH can go to finance and set up BAH. You also will need a copy of your lease to set up BAH.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  5. "Saving People. Hunting things. The family business"
    "Saving People. Hunting things. The family business"
    make sure to get on base and get your ID and get you into Tricare..major things and also as said about the BAH and such
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppermintRei View Post
    I swear we need a "getting married" sticky.

After you get married you'll need a certified copy of your marriage certificate from the county/parish recorder. Sometimes they can do it same day if you walk it into them.

Take that, a certified copy (not photo copy) of your birth certificate, your Social Security card and your DH to the DEERS office on post. They will make you an ID card.

Take your ID card and your DH to the Tricare office next and fill out the paperwork to enroll you in Tricare prime. You can also get the information to sign up for the dental plan there. It's $12 a month.

I highly recommend going to JAG after this and getting a POA for everything you could possibly need it for so you don't have to drag your DH around everywhere.

He'll need to go to housing and either get on a wait list for housing OR they will give him a memo saying housing is unavailable and your DH can go to finance and set up BAH. You also will need a copy of your lease to set up BAH.
    Wait what? You have to get permission of sorts to live off base if you are army? And you need a birth certificate to get your ID? Weird to me. We didn't have to have either of those for either item.
  7. Senior Member
    i need to get my happy.... arse down to get my ss card agian.. joys of getting your wallet stolen
  8. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-momma View Post
    Wait what? You have to get permission of sorts to live off base if you are army? And you need a birth certificate to get your ID? Weird to me. We didn't have to have either of those for either item.
    Yep. Army housing is free, paying BAH is not. They want the housing filled before they allow people to live off post. In most cases, it's not a problem to get off post. It all comes down to the Army budget.

Yes, technically you are supposed to have your birth certificte to get an ID card. Some places are more relaxed than others.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  9. Senior Member
    what if you have a place to live together before you get married??? will you still have to sign up for on base housing?
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselmechsgirl View Post
    what if you have a place to live together before you get married??? will you still have to sign up for on base housing?
    No because he probably is already allowed to live off base (I do know that in order to live off base you have to be a certain rank) and is receiving BAH. Once married that amount will increase.

edited to say I don't think at least, but apparently they work things differently than AF. Because with AF, you don't have to have permission to live off base unless you are single and below a certain rank which is Sra. But if you are married you can live on or off base.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast