Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Maternity Health Insurance

1. Regular Member

Question Maternity Health Insurance

Advertisements
    Can someone share some information.
    I'm getting married this summer to my soldier and I'll be about 5 months pregnant by then.
    I'm quitting my job prior to that and will not be able to use that health insurance anymore. Will the military cover me when I go to the military hospital?
    I'm not sure if it works like the civilian world...you can't get maternity health care coverage if you're already pregnant.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I switched to Tricare mid-pregnancy and had no problems at all. I think you should be ok.
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyJay View Post
    I switched to Tricare mid-pregnancy and had no problems at all. I think you should be ok.
    Awesome. Thanks!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    yes, with the new laws- pregnancy can no longer be a pre-existing condition, you will get tricare right away.
  5. Senior Member
    As the other said you get tricare right away, but you should have some prenatal vists before than as well from your current dr.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    I haven't looked at Tricare to be sure, but every insurance I've ever had covered unborn children of the member (prenatal and delivery), so if your DF calls Tricare, you may be able to start out with Tricare covering it and then you won't have to switch providers mid-pregnancy. Again, I haven't looked at Tricare, but that little snippet is an oft overlooked fact in all the other insurances I've ever had. They don't make it real well-known, but if you read closely, you often find that prenatal and delivery expenses are covered whether the two are married or not. I'll look around and see if I can figure out if Tricare does.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Well shucks, if I'm reading this right, you would not be eligible. http://www.triwest.com/corporate/fra...maternity.html

Darnit, I was hoping!!

Good luck!
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Double post
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarsie1 View Post
    I haven't looked at Tricare to be sure, but every insurance I've ever had covered unborn children of the member (prenatal and delivery), so if your DF calls Tricare, you may be able to start out with Tricare covering it and then you won't have to switch providers mid-pregnancy. Again, I haven't looked at Tricare, but that little snippet is an oft overlooked fact in all the other insurances I've ever had. They don't make it real well-known, but if you read closely, you often find that prenatal and delivery expenses are covered whether the two are married or not. I'll look around and see if I can figure out if Tricare does.
    Yeah, she will actually have to be a dependent to get tricare even for maternity services.

OP....like others have said I was pregnant when DH and I actually married. I had been seeing my dr off base and I had to see him for about a month after we married because it took tricare that long to kick in. But after that I had no problems at all with tricare covering my maternity expenses.