Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Enrolling a new baby in DEERS?

1. Senior Member

Enrolling a new baby in DEERS?

Advertisements
    When we had our son my husband took care of the DEERS stuff for him.
    This time DH is deployed and will not be here for the birth. Is there anything I will need to enroll our baby in DEERS? Do I do this at the hospital (I'll be delivering at a navy hospital) or will I need to go/call somewhere?

I know I have some time until she is born, but I just thought of this and was wondering.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    If he/she is born at a naval hospital, you may not need the official birth certificate, but we were told we did. The problem is that it could take weeks, months even, to get the "official" birth certificate from my state, so hospitals here give a "hospital birth certificate." I have used that birth certificate for a lot of stuff, but I don't know if DEERS would take it.

I think your best bet is to call the Navy people and find out--your dh's command probably has a PS1 or something around there that should be able to answer your questions. Or, you could just call Personnel at the base.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    OH! I should add-I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, and somebody else probably knows more so I probably should've just let someone else answer your post! lol
  4. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot
    I just enrolled our daughter on Thursday by myself. All I needed was my POA and her Certificate of Live Birth which the hospital gives you in place of a birth certificate. That is all you need. Well you may need to make an appointment depending on which facility you are going to. Here at 32nd you need an appointment, however at Miramar you just walk in.