Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geo Bachelor BAH

1. Senior Member

Geo Bachelor BAH

Advertisements
    Is the BAH rate for Geo Bachelors based on their location or the dependent's location?

DH got his LES and the BAH has his zipcode on it but we were under the impression that we would be getting paid based on my location because of stuff we had heard/been told. He is in Goose Creek, at Nuke school, but has been there for almost 2 years so I guess it is considered his PDS He is suppose to be going to check on it next week but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Also, he will be going to NSI for 9 weeks in February and then we will be PCSing. If the BAH is correct for his zip code, will we continue getting it for that PDS, or will it change to my location, or the next PDS?

2. Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure it goes by where HE is stationed.
  3. Senior Member
    Hmm... my husband was considered a geographical bachelor since he was on an unaccompanied tours overseas, and we got BAH based on where I was living. I'm not sure if he's still in the states though...
    Cori Aletta______ Avery William

09.23.09_________06.13.11
  4. Senior Member

As far as I understand now that in the states it's based on where the AD service member is located but if the AD service member goes unaccompanied overseas then it's based on where the dependents are located.
    I used to think it was all based on where the dependents were located, too.
  5. Senior Member
    it is based on where he is stationed. i also thought it was based on my location, which would have meant a lot more money. hehe
  6. Senior Member
    I'm not sure, DH is Geo Bach since he's unaccompanied overseas, but it could easily be different... I get BAH for where I live.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    In true geo-bach situations (vs TDY, schooling, etc) CONUS is paid at the duty station rate. I am not sure on the OCONUS, though the responses here and in other threads make it seem it must be paid at the local rate
  8. Senior Member

If you click the link you may get a warning that the website is harmful, but it's not. It's the per diem site from the Pentagon.

Q21: Why do you base BAH on my duty location? Why not use my residence location?

ANSWER: The policy decision to use duty location as a basis for BAH is based on the desire to compensate members for the typical housing cost within a "reasonable commuting distance" from the member's duty location. Once the duty station is known, the BAH compensation is fixed, regardless of where the member lives. Were the member's residence location to be used as a basis for the allowance, there is the concern that this would cause a member to choose the residence location based on BAH. In some cases, this may lead to a member choosing to live further from the duty station, simply to receive higher BAH. In other cases, when a member commutes from/to a lower cost area, the members would find the BAH to be lower, even though the commuting expenses are higher. The Services decided to base the allowance on the duty location with the full knowledge that members would still be free to live where they choose, but that this decision would not affect the BAH amount.

Geographically separated families (geographic bachelors) are normally eligible for BAH based on the memberís duty station. Each Service budgets for support of a certain number of members and families at each location. If a growing number of people decide to leave their families in Washington, or Tampa while the member PCSs to Mt Home or Ft. Hood that could skew the budget and service support planning for these locations. Also, a fundamental philosophy of military service is that members, with their families, create a better work environment and esprit de corps when they can be active participants in the local base and community. In certain circumstances, with specific approval of the Secretary of the Service concerned, a member may be granted an exception to receive BAH based on the dependent's location. For example if a member has a sick child that requires medical attention only available in a certain location (say Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC), and the member receives a PCS order, the member might leave the family in Washington and request BAH eligibility for that location. Such exceptions do not ordinarily apply to spousal employment or other personal choices.

http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bahfaq.html
  9. Banned
    Banned
    members stationed over seas on unaccompanied orders are not technically considered geo- bach.
    and therefore the rules are applied differently.

geo bach is defined as Choosing to live apart - not ordered apart.

also with true GEO bach you do not get FSH for living apart- and only get it whan the member deploys for longer than 30 days.
  10. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    In true geo-bach situations (vs TDY, schooling, etc) CONUS is paid at the duty station rate. I am not sure on the OCONUS, though the responses here and in other threads make it seem it must be paid at the local rate
    OCONUS, the BAH is based where the dependents are located in the states. I am overseas and know many people here unaccompanied and their families get BAH where they are. They do NOT get the OHA rate. Someone else had asked that in another thread. Plus OHA is different, it is based on the actual rent so no pocketing extra money, the max amount is the cap and anything over that is out of your pocket.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast