Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School per diem?

1. Navy Wife
    Navy Wife

Confused School per diem?

Advertisements
    I am new to this whole process and DH is at school before he goes to his new duty station. Does he get per diem soon?
  2. Senior Member
    It depends on what it states on his orders. Worst case scenario is that he will get like $3.50 a day in incidentals and money to pay for the room.
  3. Senior Member
    I think it depends on if they are staying on base and if they have a chow hall, i think they get a little either way, but it can be much lower in those intsances. I can ask DH in the morning.
  4. Married to a Naval Officer
    Married to a Naval Officer
    I've always wondered that. I know someone who's brother stayed with them for the whole 3 1/2 months he was in school. He's an E-6. I know he doesn't have a room on base because when they tried to kick him out of the house after 2 months of freeloading, the brother said he has nowhere to go. Do they get per diem for food and lodging and do they need to submit receipts? My friend thinks that he got all the money and lived with them for free (food, lodging, internet, etc.).

Sorry to threadjack, OP.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amdo_wife View Post
    I've always wondered that. I know someone who's brother stayed with them for the whole 3 1/2 months he was in school. He's an E-6. I know he doesn't have a room on base because when they tried to kick him out of the house after 2 months of freeloading, the brother said he has nowhere to go. Do they get per diem for food and lodging and do they need to submit receipts? My friend thinks that he got all the money and lived with them for free (food, lodging, internet, etc.).

Sorry to threadjack, OP.
    I know when DH has done schools (one within the last 6 months) that since there was no lodging on base he got per diem and since he was off base he also got money for food. If he had been able to stay on base they would have just given him enough for the chow hall and his room. DH always puts this stuff on his govt card and gets reimbursed whatever his per diem is. It's the same for TDYs. It's quite possible he lived with them for free and got paid... but who knows. Oh yeah... and DH only has to show receipts for hotel room I think... but it doesn't effect his per diem anyways.
  6. Navy Wife
    Navy Wife
    The lodge available to DH is on base and is $60/night.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    The lodge available to DH is on base and is $60/night.
    It truly depends on how the orders are written and if there is availabilty of government lodging on base. PCS rules are different than TDY Rules. If there is room then he is only entitled to incidentals. If he is getting BAS then he won't get a chow card.

Don't spend money on something that you may not be entitled to!!!!
  8. Navy Wife
    Navy Wife
    In his orders it doesn't state how much but it states he is eligible for per diem.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    In his orders it doesn't state how much but it states he is eligible for per diem.
    I am curious as how the orders actually read from the accounting stand point.

Do you see this word in the orders under accounting data "TEMDUINS"

Read further down on the orders to see if it says this:

MEMBER DIRECTED: FOR EACH INTERMEDIATE STOP(S), IF GOVERNMENT
    QUARTERS ARE AVAILABLE (BEQ) AND THE BASE HAS A GOVERNMENT MESS
    (APPROPRIATED FUND FOOD SERVICE ACTIVITY/GALLEY) AVAILABLE TO THE
    TRAVELER, USE OF THE GOVERNMENT MESS AND GOVERNMENT MEAL PER DIEM RATE IS DIRECTED. IF GOVERNMENT MESSING IS NOT AVAILABLE OR IS
    PARTIALLY AVAILABLE, OBTAIN AN ENDORSEMENT TO THAT EFFECT FROM THE HOST COMMAND. JFTR PARA U4400 AND CNO WASHINGTON DCNAVADMIN 223/96 (172134Z SEP 96) AND NAVADMIN 223/96 (302056Z SEP 96 APPLY. NO PERDIEM/LODGING REIMBURSEMENT IS AUTHORIZED IF THIS INTERMEDIATE STOP IS IN THE SAME GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION AS ULTIMATE STATION
  10. Regular Member
    My husband was in school in Missouri. They messed up his per diem at school and he didn't get it till 2 days before he had to pay for the hotel. They did have a mess hall on that base to eat at but he got more money for food because the school wrote a letter because the hours they had their training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast