Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glasss & contacts

1. Proud of my man and loving him!
    Proud of my man and loving him!

Nutts glasss & contacts

Advertisements
    I'm slowly figuring out how to navigate our health care coverage, but still one big question. How do I go about getting my contacts? This will be the first time I've had to fill my prescription since DH joined. I talked to tricare and they said I can have an exam done anywhere as long as they are a tricare provider. We are not close to a base, however I'll be at Benning this weekend for DH's OSUT graduation (Yay ). Will it be possible for me to get contacts while I'm there? I'm on my last pair and need to get some ASAP, I'm anxious to hear your feedback on this. Please help!!
  2. Senior Member
    Tricare doesn't cover contact lenses or glasses... They only cover an eye exam (and its not a contact eye exam, it's just the glasses one).
  3. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsgirl1433 View Post
    I'm slowly figuring out how to navigate our health care coverage, but still one big question. How do I go about getting my contacts? This will be the first time I've had to fill my prescription since DH joined. I talked to tricare and they said I can have an exam done anywhere as long as they are a tricare provider. We are not close to a base, however I'll be at Benning this weekend for DH's OSUT graduation (Yay ). Will it be possible for me to get contacts while I'm there? I'm on my last pair and need to get some ASAP, I'm anxious to hear your feedback on this. Please help!!
    If you don't have a medical condition that considers contacts a medical necessity, Tricare won't cover your contacts, but only your eye exam. You'll have to pay for contacts and/or glasses out-of-pocket.

Usually Walmart eye center accepts Tricare.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Optometrists do different exams for contacts then they do for glasses. Tricare does not cover contacts exams. Only glasses exams. My eye doc charges about $50 for a contacts exam. Tricare also does not cover your contacts. I order my contacts from Visiondirect.com, and they are very inexpensive. I have been very happy with them so far.
  5. Proud of my man and loving him!
    So even if we were on a base I would have to pay for them? DH wears contacts too are his covered?
  6. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsgirl1433 View Post
    So even if we were on a base I would have to pay for them? DH wears contacts too are his covered?
    no they only cover glasses for the Military member. ( unless there is a medical necessity for the contacts)
    even if you went on base they would still only do the eye exam. they have never covered glasses or contacts.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    The military won't cover contacts even for the servicemember, because they are not medically necessary. They will cover a basic eye exam on base, but not a contacts exam. It's the same no matter if you go on base or off.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    The military won't cover contacts even for the servicemember, because they are not medically necessary. They will cover a basic eye exam on base, but not a contacts exam. It's the same no matter if you go on base or off.

This has also been my experience. They will cover the eye exam, but that's all. I did however go see a provider on base and I convinced him to go ahead and renew my current contact prescription (I brought the boxes with me) since nothing had changed, but that was just luck on my part I think. I still had to purchase the contacts out in town. I usually go to wal-mart.
  9. Senior Member
    They only cover them for a service member when overseas and its assuming they are already established, my DH wears glasses normally and he can't just choose to suddenly wear contacts now overseas.

1800 contacts is pretty cheap too. I got a 2 year supply for $180 I think.
  10. Proud of my man and loving him!
    Wow that is cheap! It would cost me 60.00 for a box of three pair at my regular doctor. So do they expect us to just wander around blind or what?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast