Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: There's so much to do! ...

1. Senior Member

There's so much to do! ...

Advertisements
    My DH and I recently married back in Dec. 08, What exactly should be handled ASAP? I know the I.D card, DEERS and BAH ? ... What else is there ? I'm so lost.
  2. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    decide if you wants tricare standard or prime. standard is automatic, but you have to sign up for prime
  3. He is the love my life
    He is the love my life
    those are ths most imporant i think thats about it from when me and DH got married thats all we did.

I love me some NavyCakes84
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbecker View Post
    decide if you wants tricare standard or prime. standard is automatic, but you have to sign up for prime

What's the difference between standard and prime?
  5. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    standard you have to pay (i think) 20% of your doctors' visits, but you can go almost anywhere. prime, you have to see a doc on base, but it's free. i think you can get an alternative prime if you live x-number of miles from a base.
    i'm not the best "navy wife" in the world, but i believe the above is true

i had standard for a year and prime for a year. i like standard much better, but it's more $.
  6. Senior Member
    Ah Okay lol.
  7. Life is what you make it!
    Life is what you make it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbecker View Post
    standard you have to pay (i think) 20% of your doctors' visits, but you can go almost anywhere. prime, you have to see a doc on base, but it's free. i think you can get an alternative prime if you live x-number of miles from a base.
    i'm not the best "navy wife" in the world, but i believe the above is true

i had standard for a year and prime for a year. i like standard much better, but it's more $.
    Actually, I'm on prime and I have a civilian doc and its free for me. The way it was explained to me at the prime offie is if all the MTFs nearby are full and aren't accepting anymore dependants then you can choose a prime doc. I guess I was a lucky one. I have no copays and see a GREAT civilian doc. the only time I don't see her is when she isn't in the office or is booked. They get me in pretty soon too. They are good with referrals too. Most have been to other civilian prime docs. I've had surgery at a civilian hopsital and everything. Although when I do get pregnant I won't have a choice but to have my prenatal at the MTF. I figured I would cross that bridge when I get there.
  8. For missing you is my hobby and loving you is my life
    For missing you is my hobby and loving you is my life
    Blog Entries
    definatly go for the prime...its much better coverage financially in my opinion

DH-"Your are so much more than my wife to me. You are my best friend, my map when I am lost, my light when I am in the dark, and you are the keeper of my heart. We are in every moment together, even if it is for a split second. I love you with all my heart and I will always love you more and more every day."
  9. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    POA's for everything. Trust me, you'll need them.

If you're changing your name you should do that too. You should also find out about your local FRG and get on any sort of e-mail list they have. A lot of times, you'll find out information from them that your DH forgets to tell you.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    I am on Standard. Honestly, it's not THAT costly...you have a $150 deductible ($300/family), and you pay 15% copay (for in-network docs and they almost all are around here), and you have a $1000 out-of-pocket MAXIMUM. Essentially, in any case, you'll not have to pay more than $1000 in one year.

I have several issues that have been monitored by my current docs for YEARS and my kids have things too, so continuity of care was important for me. Of course, when we move in 2012, that continuity will be lost anyway as I'll be moving away from my docs, so I may go on Prime then, but honestly, I've heard HORRIBLE things about base docs for CHRONIC conditions (like my thyroid). In fact, here, another spouse who has a thyroid problem was telling me they require you to get a test every THREE months (Endos recommend 6-12), and that they won't refill your script while you are awaiting the results (stupid, as that means you aren't getting your thyroid!) AND that the test can take up to a MONTH to get back (compared to 2 days in civilian world!).

For those reasons, I absolutely stick with Standard. Yeah, you pay a little more, but for us, it's completely worth it.

So you really need to analyze how having to pay 15% will impact you (To me, that's about $15 for a doctor's visit, I can handle that) and what your individual needs are.

Also, I do NOT need a referral for anything or anyone. This is HEAVEN. I can just call and make an appt. with anyone for anything pretty much.