Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Help Paying for Dependent's Schooling?

1. Senior Member

Help Paying for Dependent's Schooling?

Advertisements
    DF and I have been discussing him going active duty lately and have been coming up to a few certain topics. DF has been saying that the military would help pay off some of my school loans if we got married by the time he went active. I thought that they would help pay for HIS schooling, but he said he has the option to transfer those funds to a dependent.

Is there anyone who can tell me what would really happen?

FYI - My loans will likely be around $60,000 when I get out.
  2. Senior Member
    ~JANA~
  3. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I've heard that they've changed the gi bill and dependents are eligible for benefits.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    WIth the new GI Bill there is an option for dependents to use part of the GI Bill but the SM has to have been in for a certain amount of time. Not sure for how long. For some reason I seem to remember 10 years (or at least in the second enlistment). Not sure if it would be possible to use it retrospectively like you are talking about even then though.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't think it could be used for previous loans like Kris said, and the details have yet to be worked out.

He also has to have 10 years of service and/or 6 years plus a reenlistment.

ALL of this though, is not set in stone and they still haven't released the concrete details of the program and if it will happen at all. It's supposed to start Aug of 2009 though.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    no the GI bill will not pay your previous college debt- he will have to have serve 6 yrs and then enlist for 4 more to assign PART but not all of his GI benefits- oh and he will have to sign up and PAY to use the GI bill. I have not heard what the new rates will be.

you can google GI BILL to get the GOV website.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I did verify about the back paying, and they will not do it.

From the VA website:

NOTE: Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits are only payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009; no payments can be made under this program for training pursued before that date.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileysmom View Post
    I did verify about the back paying, and they will not do it.

From the VA website:

NOTE: Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits are only payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009; no payments can be made under this program for training pursued before that date.
    That woulda been nice though. Wishful thinking I suppose.

I thought the new GI bill could be fully transfered? The USAF pays all of DH's schooling so he hasn't touched his GI Bill yet...
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    That woulda been nice though. Wishful thinking I suppose.

I thought the new GI bill could be fully transfered? The USAF pays all of DH's schooling so he hasn't touched his GI Bill yet...
    Nope. There are special circumstances, such as having a spouse KIA, permanently disabled, etc. The Army was (not sure if they still are) doing a program where it's part of a reenlistment package.

But the new GI Bill so far says I believe that up to HALF of the Bill can be transferred to a spouse. But again, none of it is concrete details, that's just what the initial plan was.