Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Disability pay

1. Senior Member

Disability pay

Advertisements
    I know the pay would be based on your disability rating, but say it was 50%. What would be the amount or percentage of the enlisted pay you would receive? Anyone know? TIA!
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    50% of the base pay when medically discharged
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Are you talking about disability through the VA or through the military after a med discharge? Here is the rate table for the VA http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Rates/comp01.htm
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  5. Senior Member
    Thank you! Now...does anyone know if over time you can be re-evaluated to increase the rating? DH has a back injury from a few years ago and I know it's just going to get worse and worse over time.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Yes, at least through the VA you can get it increased if I remember correctly
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  7. Navy Wife Air Force Brat
    Navy Wife Air Force Brat
    Does anyone know how long it takes for VA disability to kick in? or even find out your rating?

just curious cause we just separated from the navy and are still wanting to hear back... apparently the navy database does not update daily so DH's DD214 has not post so everyone is at a stand still... VA disability, GI Bill, unemployment, Advance Pay for the GI bill. he was official out on Sept. 30 and are still waiting... ugh

It's Not Brave If Your Not Scared" - Abby (From The Movie Bounce)
  8. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    I retired 31 Aug 07. I did not get my disability approved until Dec. I didn't see money until Jan or Feb.

Your amount of disability, if you retire or separate, is based on your percentage of disability and number of dependents. Someone already linked to the chart to determine that amount.

If you retire it's a little more complicated.

10-40% rating: If you get lets say $500.00 a month for disability and 1500 a month retirement what will happen is the VA will pull that 500 from your retirement check BEFORE taxes and send you a check for $500.00 TAX FREE. Your retirement check goes down to 1000 and is taxed at that rate.

50-100%: You qualify for Combined Retirement and Disability Pay. This means if you get that same $500.00 for disability and 1500.00 for retirement they do this magic calculation and they will pull only 300.00 out of your retirement and the VA adds 200 to make it a full 500. Then your retirement pay drops to 1200 and is taxed at that rate. For the next 10 years they will slowly take less out of your retirement pay and add more from the va to keep sending you that $500. After 10 years, you get the full disability (tax free) AND your full retirement (taxable).

Clear as mud?

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  9. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalaine View Post
    Thank you! Now...does anyone know if over time you can be re-evaluated to increase the rating? DH has a back injury from a few years ago and I know it's just going to get worse and worse over time.
    He can request to be reevaluated. I highly recommend he keep all the documentation showing that his back is getting worse so that he can request an increase. At the year mark after being granted disability, they will schedule a reevaluation appointment for him anyway, or they should. I think it depends on how busy the VA in your area is.

~Tilly Therber
  10. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Quote Originally Posted by lmflores8 View Post
    Does anyone know how long it takes for VA disability to kick in? or even find out your rating?

just curious cause we just separated from the navy and are still wanting to hear back... apparently the navy database does not update daily so DH's DD214 has not post so everyone is at a stand still... VA disability, GI Bill, unemployment, Advance Pay for the GI bill. he was official out on Sept. 30 and are still waiting... ugh
    You realize it's only Oct 8th? If you thought things in the Navy moved slow, you need to sit down because the Navy's got NOTHING on the VA. The VA is so overwhelmed with disabled Vets right now you can expect to wait MONTHS for anything. I applied for GI bill in August. I'm still waiting. Disability takes even longer, as a general rule.

~Tilly Therber