Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: what's the benifit of being married?

1. Member

Nutts what's the benifit of being married?

Advertisements
    I have heard that is it better that we are married, but he has not explained to me the benefits of being married. He is national guard - army-
    can anyone explain to me? Please

Thank you
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    if you mean the benefits from the government:
    You get an ID which allows you on base, use of commisary, exchange, fitness club, rec center, etc.
    You are considered next of kin for notification purposes.
    Additional money for BAH.
    Military recognizes you as an actual person in your SO's life.
    Health insurance (tri-care, so not really too beneficial unless you have nothing else)
    life insurance.
    When he moves, they will pay to move you too.
    On base housing.
    More that others will mention.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Member
    Thank you-that helps some. by the way- Love your cats!!!!
  4. Regular Member
    im national guard and and u only get some of that stuff if he is deployed, like umm tri-care u dont automatically get u have to ensure that u are enrolled in it. if hes deployed ull have it. also u dont get base housing atleast i never heard that and im a single mother. bah is another thing that u only get when hes deployed. you will get an ID which i like cause u can go on base and go shopping. but if u have any other questions feel free to ask if i dont know i can easily find out
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by humpslady2 View Post
    im national guard and and u only get some of that stuff if he is deployed, like umm tri-care u dont automatically get u have to ensure that u are enrolled in it. if hes deployed ull have it. also u dont get base housing atleast i never heard that and im a single mother. bah is another thing that u only get when hes deployed. you will get an ID which i like cause u can go on base and go shopping. but if u have any other questions feel free to ask if i dont know i can easily find out
    Yeah. She is right, I was talking in general, not NG.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Member

Confused

Thank you, for the information-

So, pretty much - ng only gets the benefits when deployed? Right? Since they are only reservist. Or called to duty for some reason.
    Now does he get the benefits even when not deployed? What about medical coverage, he has kaiser on my policy at work. Would I be able to take him off or should I leave him on?
    I am so lost - he really can not answer these questions for me and I do not want to go and ask anyone on base. So, are you telling me we do not qualify for base housing, unless active?
    I am just so lost and confused..

thanks again.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    he is only covered when he is drilling or if he is activated-

if he is a weekend warrior ( does his weekend a month and 2 weeks a ayr)
    then he will get coverage ONLY when he drills.

if he is activated or FULL TIME reserves- that means he goes to the NG/Army base every day to work, then that is like being reg AD and all benefits apply.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCARTER View Post
    Thank you, for the information-

So, pretty much - ng only gets the benefits when deployed? Right? Since they are only reservist. Or called to duty for some reason.
    Now does he get the benefits even when not deployed? What about medical coverage, he has kaiser on my policy at work. Would I be able to take him off or should I leave him on?
    I am so lost - he really can not answer these questions for me and I do not want to go and ask anyone on base. So, are you telling me we do not qualify for base housing, unless active?
    I am just so lost and confused..

thanks again.
    .. NG only gets AD benefits when deployed, then for 3 months after they get home. They can't pull their retirement until they are 65, regardless of how many years they have in.. There's no BAH either, unless he's deployed.

He has the option of having Tri-Care Reserve Select as an insurance policy, through the NG... It's reasonable for a single person, but when you add dependents, it gets expensive. It's almost not worth the cost.

You said base housing... (Base= Navy or Marines, Post=Army) Guard guys don't generally live on Post. If he can get a DOD job on post using his MOS, then he'd be "technically considered" AD during the week, and NG on weekends- but still without AD benefits. But he'd have to keep his deployable status and stay in the Guards to have his job.

I don't know what kaiser is.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post

if he is activated or FULL TIME reserves- that means he goes to the NG/Army base every day to work, then that is like being reg AD and all benefits apply.
    No, I believe that's incorrect, who told you that?

He has to be a reserve component member on active duty for more then 30 days to get Tricare. Otherwise he gets a choice between Reserve Select or a State run insurance plan, both are expensive. Reservists get completely different bennies all the way around, they are completely different then AD.
  10. Member
    thanks for the info..!!!! Good to know- Learning something new everyday...