Thread: When you got married..

1. ...

Exclamation When you got married..

Advertisements
    How long did it take you to get..

Your Id Card
    Tricare
    Housing/BAH

Df things it's going to take a while for me to get my id card and insurance. I know it's different in every case but im just curious.
  2. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    For me it didn't take too long, we got married in May he reported to his command in June ( he was in transit) and put me on everything sent me the DD form to get my ID changed and was able to start getting BAH ( well back then it was 2 separate things) right away.
    By the time i left in July i was already under his SS and he was getting BAH.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Cant do tricare till he enrolls you in DEERs which at most bases is when you can get your ID. You have to go with him to get the ID. If you choose tricare prime and you enroll before 20th of the month it will go into effect on the 1st after the 20th you have to wait till the 1st of the next month (example: enroll now, goes into effect Sept 1st. wait till after the 20th goes into effect Oct 1st.)

Housing and BAH cant do either till he adds you to his dependents list and DEERs.
  4. ...
    So would we just go to the pass an Id with our marriage certificate to get me my id?

Could anything get delayed for some reason? Like people being slow with processing paperwork? Or is it just on us for getting stuff done?
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andreacc View Post
    So would we just go to the pass an Id with our marriage certificate to get me my id?

Could anything get delayed for some reason? Like people being slow with processing paperwork? Or is it just on us for getting stuff done?
    nope they do all the paperwork right then and there. take your birth certificate, social security card and marriage certificate. Once you get your ID go to tricare and get that done.
  6. Senior Member
    We went on our honeymoon right after the wedding and as soon as we got back we went and enrolled me in DEERS. I got my ID within a half hour (just make sure you bring your ID and SS card and marriage license).

We then drove right over to a naval hospital and enrolled me in TRICARE. The benefits were automatic, HOWEVER I am Tricare Prime and that takes a little while to activate, so until it did I was Standard. Enrolled Feb 21 and became PRIME April 1.

BAH was a little trickier because he was forward deployed and had to do all that when he went back to his duty station, starting with updating his Page 2. I also had to wait for bills in my name and forward them to him. (He also had to present a lease). He applied for BAH in early April and it showed up May 15--but it was backpaid all the way to Feb 8 (the wedding date--the day I am officially a "dependent").

Awaiting the arrival of baby Andrew

7. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    nope they do all the paperwork right then and there. take your birth certificate, social security card and marriage certificate. Once you get your ID go to tricare and get that done.
    Ohhhhh.. Ok. Thanks, that clears up a lot.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andreacc View Post

No the process, at least in Bremerton, was surprisingly fast. It depends on the base (Yokosuka, for example is a mad house when it comes to getting ID, at least in DH's experience) but generally if you have all your paperwork it's not too painful a process.

I ALMOST had a problem because I forgot my SS card and was almost sent home to retrieve it (over an hour's drive ). Luckily I dug out a paystub which has my SS# on it and made a very convincing argument as to why that was acceptable. The rule is that they have to be able to read off your social security number from an official document. Just make sure you have all that stuff in order and there shouldn't be a problem.

Awaiting the arrival of baby Andrew

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~*Dawn*~ View Post
    We went on our honeymoon right after the wedding and as soon as we got back we went and enrolled me in DEERS. I got my ID within a half hour (just make sure you bring your ID and SS card and marriage license).

We then drove right over to a naval hospital and enrolled me in TRICARE. The benefits were automatic, HOWEVER I am Tricare Prime and that takes a little while to activate, so until it did I was Standard. Enrolled Feb 21 and became PRIME April 1.
    This was the same experience I had. I was just processed this morning. (Did it at an Air Force Base, even though DH is Navy, btw.)

The only difference between Dawn's expeience and mine is that I opted for the Tricare Stardard, since my kids and I are already well covered on my own job's healthcare insurance.

Whichever you choose, it's a quick procedure, provided you have those documents listed above. You'll need originals, not photocopies. Also, be very careful that your social is written in correctly before signing.
  10. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ~*Dawn*~ View Post
    No the process, at least in Bremerton, was surprisingly fast. It depends on the base (Yokosuka, for example is a mad house when it comes to getting ID, at least in DH's experience) but generally if you have all your paperwork it's not too painful a process.

I ALMOST had a problem because I forgot my SS card and was almost sent home to retrieve it (over an hour's drive ). Luckily I dug out a paystub which has my SS# on it and made a very convincing argument as to why that was acceptable. The rule is that they have to be able to read off your social security number from an official document. Just make sure you have all that stuff in order and there shouldn't be a problem.
    Were getting married on a Saturday, so Monday we should go in for all this? We'll be doing the stuff at Bangor. Oh I hate pass an Ids hours an long lines.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast