Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricare Prime & Vision Benefits...

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Tricare Prime & Vision Benefits...

Advertisements
    I've never had a problem with my eyes but lately have been getting headaches when on the computer alot or reading alot. Looks like I may be coming down with that middle-age problem requiring glasses! What does tricare prime cover for vision tests, glasses, etc. Thanks for any help you can give me

Me (Nurse Friday) & My Hubby (Chief Friday)

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    ahhh you sound like me about 6 months ago.

I broke down, went to my son's eye dr and got an appointment.

the only thing covered IS the exam.....which stinks. My eyes are giving me problems and now I have glasses....it's mainly from the computer, reading, driving, AGING......I ended up getting my glasses through my eye doctor because she has awesome discounts for military.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I had to get a vision care plan through work because there are 4 out of 5 of us in glasses in this family. It sucks...LOL.
  4. Married to a Naval Officer
    Married to a Naval Officer
    They just cover the regular exam but if you're getting contacts, they won't cover the exam.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by missnursey View Post
    I've never had a problem with my eyes but lately have been getting headaches when on the computer alot or reading alot. Looks like I may be coming down with that middle-age problem requiring glasses! What does tricare prime cover for vision tests, glasses, etc. Thanks for any help you can give me
    We just got one of the kids' eye exams covered last week. I was surprised to find out that tricare covered the cost of the exam now; back in the day dependent optometry wasn't available at all.

You do have to make sure that your optometrist will take Tricare. For AD family members it's one exam every year, and for retirees it's one exam every two years.

This is pretty cool- we used to get nothing, and I didn't even inquire into it- here we've been paying our own optometrist bills for six years!

(I notice some posters are complaining that the coverage sucks..... I guess it's all in your perspective).
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    They will cover regular glasses exams but my exams are never covered b/c I wear contacts.

Nothing else is covered though, not even Jaxon's glasses when his Ped tried to file them as a "necessary, special needs" type thing b/c he was 2-3 years old and needed them. They still refused to cover even a portion.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    We just got one of the kids' eye exams covered last week. I was surprised to find out that tricare covered the cost of the exam now; back in the day dependent optometry wasn't available at all.

You do have to make sure that your optometrist will take Tricare. For AD family members it's one exam every year, and for retirees it's one exam every two years.

This is pretty cool- we used to get nothing, and I didn't even inquire into it- here we've been paying our own optometrist bills for six years!

(I notice some posters are complaining that the coverage sucks..... I guess it's all in your perspective).

Back in TX the insurance I had through the hospital I worked at sucked. You would think hospital employees would have excellent insurance but they don't. $75 co-pay for an ER visit and co-pays everywhere I went. Nothing was paid 100% so I'm loving Tricare Prime!

Me (Nurse Friday) & My Hubby (Chief Friday)

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    They will cover regular glasses exams but my exams are never covered b/c I wear contacts.

Nothing else is covered though, not even Jaxon's glasses when his Ped tried to file them as a "necessary, special needs" type thing b/c he was 2-3 years old and needed them. They still refused to cover even a portion.

Brandi the Wal-Mart that I work at takes Tricare. We bill Tricare just for the eyeglass exam and then you will have to pay the extra cost between the eyeglass exam and contact exam.

For instance our eyeglass exam is 56 and our contact exams are 77 or 88 depending on if you have an astigmatism or not.

SO here you would only have to pay the 21 or 32 difference.

I hope that made sense.

Are you paying for the entire contact exam?
  9. Senior Member
    it sucks that they don't cover and a portion of the glasses them selves..it would be super cool if they did
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Tricare will cover and eye exam once a year. They will not cover glasses or contacts (or any exam you need for contacts). I do know that Wal-Mart offers a military discount and if you are wanting contacts the eye exam only costs $50. Wal-Mart is where I got my last 2 pairs of glasses and my last set of contacts. They have great prices and a great selection to pick from. Good luck and I hope you get what you need!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast