Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: ? about the Soldier & Sailors Relief Act

1. Senior Member

Help ? about the Soldier & Sailors Relief Act

Advertisements
    I know under the SCRA, your soldier can force creditors to reduce the interest rate on pre existing loans (mortgage, credit cards) to no more than 6 percent. Does anyone know if this applies to a joint credit account for which I am the primary cardholder, not my DH, but we're both listed on the account? I can't figure out whether the credit card has to be in his name only or if as a spouse, our joint accounts in general are eligible. Thanks.
  2. Purpur
    yes. I had APRs changed that he isn't even joint on. Just send a letter with a copy of his enlistment orders.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid's Girl View Post
    I know under the SCRA, your soldier can force creditors to reduce the interest rate on pre existing loans (mortgage, credit cards) to no more than 6 percent. Does anyone know if this applies to a joint credit account for which I am the primary cardholder, not my DH, but we're both listed on the account? I can't figure out whether the credit card has to be in his name only or if as a spouse, our joint accounts in general are eligible. Thanks.
    justy to clarify-- NO one can force any company to comply with the 6% rate-

it is Offered for credit and loans that were given PRIOR to enlistment-

it does include spouses-

BUT a note here- if you do not have an account that is paid current or you have not been paying on time- they DO NOT HAVE TO HONOR THE SCRA!

AND They can make it that the 6% is only on the current balance and once you use the card it will change the rate- if you are late it will change the rate, or if you miss a payment they will change the rate.
  4. Senior Member
    Thanks ladies, the account was prior to deployment and it is always paid on time, etc, so it sounds like we might have a good chance of getting it reduced. Thanks!