Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: girlfriend/fiancee vs. wife?

1. jessicam

girlfriend/fiancee vs. wife?

Advertisements
    My DF and I got engaged in April, so I'm still learning the ropes of the military. What are the benefits that I'll be eligible to receive once we're married?

I know that I'll be able to shop at the commissary without him, go to the gym on post, be able to receive military health care, be able to live in housing on post . . . any other major benefits to being married in the military?

Basically, I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to do a civil marriage before our Church wedding next October. I will be moving with him to Fort Riley when he returns from Iraq.
  2. Loves Joser :)
    Loves Joser :)
    im new to all this too but i would love to know the rope around as well because df & i getting married in feb! and i will be moving on base around march i hope! but i've been really "married to the military" and thats has alot of great info!
  3. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jessicam View Post
    My DF and I got engaged in April, so I'm still learning the ropes of the military. What are the benefits that I'll be eligible to receive once we're married?

I know that I'll be able to shop at the commissary without him, go to the gym on post, be able to receive military health care, be able to live in housing on post . . . any other major benefits to being married in the military?

Basically, I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to do a civil marriage before our Church wedding next October. I will be moving with him to Fort Riley when he returns from Iraq.

Isn't that enough? lol Depending how you look at it...another "major" might be that you get to shop at the BX/PX oh and let's not forget...all that comes with a nice lil spiffy mil dependant ID card
  4. Formerly "Chels"
    Formerly "Chels"
    Blog Entries
    in about 6 months they are passing a bill that says once your married they pay for your college too...and if he stays in the military until he retires after 20 years then it pays for your childrens college too. a friend i have in the marines told me that...but im thinkin you get different stuff depending on the branch..i might be wrong but...youve basically named everything else you get.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelseapparks View Post
    in about 6 months they are passing a bill that says once your married they pay for your college too...and if he stays in the military until he retires after 20 years then it pays for your childrens college too. a friend i have in the marines told me that...but im thinkin you get different stuff depending on the branch..i might be wrong but...youve basically named everything else you get.

Your friend is passing along some very bad information. A bill was just recently passed regarding the GI Bill. It increased the benefits and included stipulations that will allow for service members to sign it over to their spouse or children once they have either served 10 years or have served 6 and re-up for 4 more. However, it will not pay for both the spouse and children - no matter how long the service member stays in.
  6. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by chelseapparks View Post
    umm no that is wrong. As the PP stated you have to serve at least 10 years before you can qualify for GI Bill transfer which btw isn't going to be effictive till Aug 2009.
    And no when you retire at 20 they do not pay for your children's colleges if they had me and my brother would have been rolling. What your friend is thinking of is possibly if the MM dies while on active duty dependents benefit from his GI Bill.
    all benefits are military wide so no one branch gets special benefits that another doesn't.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

7. .
    All of those reasons are pretty much enough. Also cheaper alcohol!

REMEMBER OPSEC AND PERSEC WHEN POSTING!!

8. Tiffykins30
    Depending on where ya'll are stationed they also assist with spouse's education costs for "portable careers". It's called the Military Spouse Career Advancement Account. There are only limited military installations that are participating in the program at this time, but I really think this is an excellent program and will be taking advantage of this sometime next year.

Here's the link:

http://caa.milspouse.org/Portable/
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaR View Post
    Your friend is passing along some very bad information. A bill was just recently passed regarding the GI Bill. It increased the benefits and included stipulations that will allow for service members to sign it over to their spouse or children once they have either served 10 years or have served 6 and re-up for 4 more. However, it will not pay for both the spouse and children - no matter how long the service member stays in.
    ★RagaBabe Cloth Diapers Grand Opening www.ragababe.com
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Access on post, military discount, legal rights, FRG notifications (some do for girlfriends/fiancees), access to the Armed Forces Vacation Club, military ID... I'm trying to wrack my brain. Those are the only other ones that come to mind for me.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast