Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What should I do?

1. SFwifey

What should I do?

Advertisements
    I had braces as a teenager. I got them off, my teeth were great, they gave me a retainer (that I still wear everynight). My jaw is actually moving now. If I close my teeth my top row is way farther to the left and the bottom to the right. It has gotten progressively worse. I can't even eat a sandwich. It isn't noticeable until i point it out, but my teeth don't meet in the front at all anymore. I went to the dr. and she said that it was a dental thing. Went to the orthodontist and they said I would need jaw surgery and braces to fix it, and if i don't fix it, it will continue to get worse.
    So.......now insurance is saying that I am too old to be covered for orthodontic work like that. So wth? any suggestions.........what can i do to get this covered? It isn't so much the cosmetic part bothering me, it is the eating thing. I have to tear apart burgers and such.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SFwifey View Post
    I had braces as a teenager. I got them off, my teeth were great, they gave me a retainer (that I still wear everynight). My jaw is actually moving now. If I close my teeth my top row is way farther to the left and the bottom to the right. It has gotten progressively worse. I can't even eat a sandwich. It isn't noticeable until i point it out, but my teeth don't meet in the front at all anymore. I went to the dr. and she said that it was a dental thing. Went to the orthodontist and they said I would need jaw surgery and braces to fix it, and if i don't fix it, it will continue to get worse.
    So.......now insurance is saying that I am too old to be covered for orthodontic work like that. So wth? any suggestions.........what can i do to get this covered? It isn't so much the cosmetic part bothering me, it is the eating thing. I have to tear apart burgers and such.
    Take a copy of your records back to your PCM and see if you can be approved for oral surgery as a medical procedure (rather than as a dental procedure). If that won't work then the only way you can "...get this covered..." is to purchase suitable dental insurance that will cover it.
  3. jessicam
    Oh man, I'm going through the same exact thing! My jaw is also crooked - the bottom row leans more towards the right. My insurance also will not cover the surgery and braces . . and the orthodontist estimated it costing around $10,000! (Which I clearly don't have just lying around.) Sometimes I have some jaw pain while chewing, and I grind my teeth at night. But the cosmetics actually bothers me the most. So, I don't really know what to tell you. I decided I'm not going to get the procedure done at this time . . . I'm just going to wait until it's really bad and figure out a way to afford it.

What are you leaning towards?
  4. SFwifey
    At this point I just can't do it.
    I am going to try to get it covered medically, but if not, I cannot afford to have it fixed. I am just worried about it getting worse! If I figure anything out I will let you know!