Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surcharge at the Commissary...

1. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!

Question Surcharge at the Commissary...

Advertisements
    Anyone else notice that when you use coupons, the surcharge amount doesn't decrease?!?

To me, that's equivalent to paying sales tax on a $20 item that's on sale for like $10.

Maybe there was a glitch in the system? We visited the NOB Commy the other day and my husband was the one to notice that the surcharge amount remained the same, even after my $6 in coupons were used.

On my next Commy shop, I'll definitely keep an eye out when I use coupons, because if this is true, that is SO not right.....

Basically, if this is the case, then that means the surcharge is added per item and not the subtotal.
  2. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    I hadn't noticed that the last time we used coupons at the commy. I'll keep my eyes out for it too.
  3. Senior Member

I hadn't noticed either.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Man, that sucks. especially considering when I diligently use coupons, I can usually take about $10-$20 off the total with them. The surcharge should definitely reflect that.
  5. Senior Member

I went to look up this surcharge and found this blog. Some of the comments on the blog were very informative. Unfortunately the link provided in the blog to defenselink does not work.
    http://moneyformilitary.blogspot.com...explained.html
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    The second comment about the pool reminded me how pissed off I am about the pool here on our base.

The pool here ON base charges like $150-$175 per family for 2-3 months access during the summer when the pool is open. Is that not ridiculous? I mean, really, it's a pool ON BASE, it's supposed to be a benefit

I don't necessarily disagree with a surcharge, but 5% is a lot to me and almost makes up for the taxes that we don't have to pay. The taxes on my receipt when I shop at the super walmart are just barely more than the surcharge I paid at the commy. So, really, it is like a tax. Not that I mind paying it IF it means getting nicer, newer facilities but so far the only nice commy I have been to is the one at 32nd street in SD. The rest of them I"ve ever gone to have sucked and not been anywhere near as nice as a "normal" grocery store.
  7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
    The second comment about the pool reminded me how pissed off I am about the pool here on our base.

The pool here ON base charges like $150-$175 per family for 2-3 months access during the summer when the pool is open. Is that not ridiculous? I mean, really, it's a pool ON BASE, it's supposed to be a benefit

I don't necessarily disagree with a surcharge, but 5% is a lot to me and almost makes up for the taxes that we don't have to pay. The taxes on my receipt when I shop at the super walmart are just barely more than the surcharge I paid at the commy. So, really, it is like a tax. Not that I mind paying it IF it means getting nicer, newer facilities but so far the only nice commy I have been to is the one at 32nd street in SD. The rest of them I"ve ever gone to have sucked and not been anywhere near as nice as a "normal" grocery store.
    Holy shit! I had no idea! The pools here are free. The one at the Dragon Hill Lodge is only free to hotel guests and is $39 a month for a single membership but that includes the gym, too which there are free ones around base.
    The pool in Camp Humphrey's is $4 I think but it's like a water park so they need to maintain it.
  8. Senior Member
    nope, it doesn't it's not necessarily a glitch in the system. it has always done that lol. it charges the 5% before your coupons. i worked in the commissary for awhile and after so many freaking staff meetings about that stupid surcharge.. i just stopped listening.

but yes, it remains the same. so even if you attempt to buy an item with a coupon that says it's free, the surcharge is still applicable.

the line we were always fed by our store director was that the 5% goes to building commissaries, the commissary itself doesn't profit from it but it does go to building and renovating commissaries.

but all i know is the government makes them do it for that reason lol. i guess they don't want to funnel money out to renovate old decrepit ones and make new ones.

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    This is why it was never worth it for me to shop on base...You pay that surcharge for everything and at the regular store you dont pay tax on everything.
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennygirl View Post
    This is why it was never worth it for me to shop on base...You pay that surcharge for everything and at the regular store you dont pay tax on everything.
    I agree. I never shop at the commy, because I don't feel like I'm really saving anything, after the surcharge and tipping baggers.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast